Waldo - A. aculeatus

Congrats! I love abdopuses! They have consistently been my favorite octos, they are beautiful, personable, diurnal- I think the perfect octos. It's so heartbreaking to know there's nothing to do to raise their babies! Good luck with your new friend!

I woke this morning and my little guy was just hanging out on the rocks in front of his chosen den.

acleatus2.jpg

acleatus1.jpg

Ok I have decided to call this one Waldo. and I think everyone agrees it is an A.Acleatus. I'm still not sure if its a male but i don't care I'm just going to call it, Him.

He seems very happy he was attacking a huge snail a minute ago, but I think it was a little big for him.

Neogonodactylus;154716 said:
Live Aquaria has been shipping a ton of Abdopus the past couple of weeks. We got three and I saw several others that people have purchased. Must be good weather for collectors. There are also O. bocki, macropus, and even wunderpus coming in from the Philippines. Might be part of an economic stimulus plan.

Roy

Good weather, and also good low tides this month.

I was alittle worried about Waldo because I had not seen him eat since I got him but just now I was able to get him to take a piece of shrimp on stick. I feel much better now.

The aculeatus is probably the second most sociable of the ones we see but we almost never see young ones so I am very glad Waldo/a is eating.

He really is tiny, I dont think the video I shot shows it but he is just a bit smaller than Izzy the Merc. He ate a 1/4 of a shrimp tail and it still seemed big for him. I am very excited for this little guy. I am sure he is going to warm up to me but right now I am he does not view me as a friend. As a kid I used to catch a lot of snakes and his demeanor reminds me of them: wild, but happy to be in safe place with an easy meal.

Is Waldo coming out during the day? There is another Adopus that we sometimes see and the diminutive size might sugges abaculus rather than aculeatus (they look the same to the non-scientist but abaculus only achieves a 3 cm mantle vs the 6 cm of aculeatus). I seem to remember a nocturnal behavior (or early evening) of the other small ones that set them apart from the aculeatus but I could be remembering incorrectly.

I went back and did a little checking and Linda's Morpheus showed nocturnal behavior. Mucktopus dropped by that journal with some comments worth reading if this one is not day active.

So far I have seen him out with both the lights on and off. Just the fact that i have seen him out with the lights on makes me think he is not nocturnal. If he is nocturnal he tolerates the light, unlike the Mercs, which as you know wont even come out with the room lights on.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back