Waldo - A. aculeatus

Well, so far he has settled into a Crepuscular schedule. When I go to turn his light on a 10 am he is always waiting for me, and I usually take this time to feed him a shrimp on a stick. Then I see him again at night around the time the lights go off, about 8 pm. He is still spooks pretty easily but I think he started to realize where his shrimp treats are coming from. He loves to sit, puddled as D says, up on the top of the glass.

waldo1.jpg

In most of your photos he is in a nondescript lump. (is there a name for this pose?) It seems as if he is not really wanting to be seen. Is he still playing wheres Waldo? Tell him the game is over :wink:
I am anxious to see him stretched out. The photo of him from underneath is really cool. :cool2: Beautiful little octpus but can't make out what is what. I'll be waiting but anxiously.

I found WALDO! I see now why I couldn't find him, I was looking in all the caves at had regular front entrances in my live rock but instead he is in a hole that he enter through the top. Pretty cool now that I know where he is I see him a lot with just his little eyes periscoping out the hole.

Wheres Waldo?
whereswaldo.jpg

Oh, I'm super jealous, aculeatus are the BEST. I love his little hidey hole, I have a pop up rock, too. You're lucky to have come upon such a tiny little friend, I hope he's with you for a while. I've seen the term "inverted chrysanthamum" for that pose on the side of the tank- more poetic than "lump." Eventually mine would come out earlier and stay out later, but they always took a day tim nap from about 11 am to 2 or 3 pm.

OK so I finally saw Waldo moving around in a way that I got a much better idea of mantle to leg ratio. WOW he has REALLY long arms. His mantle is about 1.5 " but his legs are 6+ inches long. What is the leg to mantle ratio of an Aculeatus, cause now i'm wondering again if it is or not.

He is definitely diurnal, He sleeps through the night and he has been hunting during the day.

I give him a a 1/2 a shrimp tail in the morning which eat eats right away. Then he perches in different places around the tank and observes the days happenings. I catch him eating a decorator crab every now and then but I have yet to witness the hunt. Today he did quite a bit of exploring and we had a little game of hide and seek going but he is still pretty shy of me.

I think all the Adopus have 6:1 arm to mantle ratio. The only ones listed in Norman's Cephalopods A World Guide are the abaculus and the aculeatus and both are listed with the same proportions. the abaculus only attains about a 1.25 inch mantle with 7 inch arms where the aculeatus is twice that size.

Things are going great with waldo. He has gotten used to my feeding stick and he no longers need to be coaxed into taking the shrimp. He is still pretty shy but gettnig better. We are no where near contact yet, but he doesn't hide when I walk by the aquarium and I see him perching outside his den more every day.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back