• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Vulgaris octo

I want to know all about vullgaris octopus. I dont know how to take care of them.:banghead: i know there is a bimac but it is cold water.i had a starry octopus for a little bit but he died:cry::boohoo: he's in a better place::angelpus:

:welcome: to TONMO

O. vulgaris gets to be quite large, and few home setups have the tank size and filtration to handle them. Unless you have a very large tank, you might be better off with a briareus, hummelincki, or aculeatus, which are all tropical and can fit in a 55-75 gallon tanks. What size is your current tank, and what kind of filtration does it have?

I have a 100 Gallon with 30 gallon wet/dry sump with 1250 gph internal pump.I know thats not big at all but its cycleing right now.I will have it in a 10 gallon for a week and a half i'm not intrested in a vulgaris. But how about a zebra I realy like them are they good for My setup. Keep in mind I will get a realy small one.

Thank's

Christian

we really recomend against getting zebra's, they are cool looking, but are EXTREMELY hard to care for, and no one knows what their populations are in the wild, so they could be and probably are threatened. For an octo, they also dont make good pets and are not so interactive. If I had a 100 gallon, then I would probably get a briarus. A 100 gal is too small for a vulgaris. It doesn't matter how small of an octo you get, they grow REALLY fast.

If you haven't already, the "articles" tab at the top of the page would be a good place to start.

christian39;117467 said:
How about a mimic in a 29 for a little bit. how hard is mimic to take care of it. I sold my 100 for more than i paid for it!!

Mimics are of the same recommendation as Zebra's. They are rare in their own habitat, possibly endangered species, and way too expensive for something that might only live a few weeks once you get it.

You're much better off with the more common species. They all tend to be much more interesting and interactive behavior-wise.

You really should get a 50 gallon or larger. You will only be kicking yourself later if you don't.

Yes i will get a 55 one of these days. But My frend has a mimic and he has had it for 2 years in a 30 gallon and he mimics the flounder the sea snake the lion fish every once in a wile i think it's cool. and if you say dont get one how about a joubini i'm geting tired of trying to find out witch octopus is best for me.:banghead: i mean im not a beginer i have black tip sharks smoothhounds and all kinds of other sharks and tanks

colin's article "Keeping cephalopods in captivity", I think it is the first listed in the articles section, has a breakdown of octo species for keeping in aquariums and which ones to avoid.

erin

Sorry man i forgot to say it's being bulit as we speak i will post pics after it's done. and i have a 135 reef a 36 fowlr
a 10 nano reef a 29 octo tank a feeders tank a frogfish tank a 210 shark & ray tank and a rack sutup and a 240 reef

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back