Vulgaris octo

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by christian39, May 2, 2008.

1. christian39

christian39 Pygmy Octopus Registered

I want to know all about vullgaris octopus. I dont know how to take care of them.:banghead: i know there is a bimac but it is cold water.i had a starry octopus for a little bit but he died:cry::boohoo: he's in a better place::angelpus:

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO

O. vulgaris gets to be quite large, and few home setups have the tank size and filtration to handle them. Unless you have a very large tank, you might be better off with a briareus, hummelincki, or aculeatus, which are all tropical and can fit in a 55-75 gallon tanks. What size is your current tank, and what kind of filtration does it have?

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

4. christian39

I have a 100 Gallon with 30 gallon wet/dry sump with 1250 gph internal pump.I know thats not big at all but its cycleing right now.I will have it in a 10 gallon for a week and a half i'm not intrested in a vulgaris. But how about a zebra I realy like them are they good for My setup. Keep in mind I will get a realy small one.

Thank's

Christian

5. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

we really recomend against getting zebra's, they are cool looking, but are EXTREMELY hard to care for, and no one knows what their populations are in the wild, so they could be and probably are threatened. For an octo, they also dont make good pets and are not so interactive. If I had a 100 gallon, then I would probably get a briarus. A 100 gal is too small for a vulgaris. It doesn't matter how small of an octo you get, they grow REALLY fast.

If you haven't already, the "articles" tab at the top of the page would be a good place to start.

6. christian39

How about a mimic in a 29 for a little bit. how hard is mimic to take care of it. I sold my 100 for more than i paid for it!!

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Mimics are of the same recommendation as Zebra's. They are rare in their own habitat, possibly endangered species, and way too expensive for something that might only live a few weeks once you get it.

You're much better off with the more common species. They all tend to be much more interesting and interactive behavior-wise.

You really should get a 50 gallon or larger. You will only be kicking yourself later if you don't.

8. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

You could try cuttle's, Thales and paradox have hatchlings.

9. christian39

Yes i will get a 55 one of these days. But My frend has a mimic and he has had it for 2 years in a 30 gallon and he mimics the flounder the sea snake the lion fish every once in a wile i think it's cool. and if you say dont get one how about a joubini i'm geting tired of trying to find out witch octopus is best for me.:banghead: i mean im not a beginer i have black tip sharks smoothhounds and all kinds of other sharks and tanks

10. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I'm a little confused. What size tank do you have available for an octopus? How many other tanks do you have?

11. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

colin's article "Keeping cephalopods in captivity", I think it is the first listed in the articles section, has a breakdown of octo species for keeping in aquariums and which ones to avoid.

erin

12. christian39

I have a 29 and i have 9 tanks and 1 black tip pond
    (with the 29)

13. Fishfreak218

Fishfreak218 GPO Registered

pictures of the black tip pond!!!!!

14. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I think people were more interested in knowing the contents of your tanks than the quantity.

15. christian39

Sorry man i forgot to say it's being bulit as we speak i will post pics after it's done. and i have a 135 reef a 36 fowlr
    a 10 nano reef a 29 octo tank a feeders tank a frogfish tank a 210 shark & ray tank and a rack sutup and a 240 reef

16. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

... and I thought I spent a lot of time cleaning and water changing :bugout:

17. christian39

Yeah i'm always maintaing tanks but i think its worth it i just got a bireatous i think that how you spell it i just put him in the tank after 3 hours of driping him his mantle is about the size of a golf ball and his arms are about 6 or 7 inches not extended he's cooler than my starry octo!!

My lfs is evil he had him in a 2.5 gallon tank!!:twisted: