• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

vulgaris help

can someone give me a rundown on the necessary requirements for keeping an octopus vulgaris? also where is everyone from the midwest-west getting their octos from octopets is not running i guess. help!

oceanbound said:
can someone give me a rundown on the necessary requirements for keeping an octopus vulgaris? also where is everyone from the midwest-west getting their octos from octopets is not running i guess. help!

Keeping vulgaris is about the same as any other octo. which there are several postings on the general care of an octopus on this site. You will need at least a 50 gallon tank or larger. Right now there is no one selling captive raised octo's although later this year there might be, and you will not find any captive raised vulgaris for sale mostly you will find bimac's. Right now the only chance to get an octo is wild caught ones that LFS get occationally or there are some internet stores that get them in but they go about as soon as they get them.

i thought like vulgaris was more inclined to climb out of the aquarium. does it grow larger than the bimac?? does anyone know of any internet stores that currently have octos in stock. a local lfs is hard to find because i am in the boonies of colorado

oceanbound said:
does it grow larger than the bimac??

Much larger. My opinion would be larger than a 50 gal, more like 90. They can get 3 feet across and even most 90s are only 18 inches across.

oceanbound said:
does anyone know of any internet stores that currently have octos in stock.

Check out the "Octopus Availablility" thread in the Octopus care forum. Read the whole thing, lots of places that you think do carry -actually don't and there are some places that dive for them if you order them. "The Ceph Page" by James Wood also has a sources page with links.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back