• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Video - Bobbit Worm - Dinner time

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Note the first creature is a scorpionfish and not, as I first thought, a hairy octopus :grin:.

Bobbit Worms are a very strange nocturnal predatory worm. They have most of their bodies buried in the sand, with just their frightening looking pincers showing.

I was patiently filming a couple that were close together and my waiting paid off...

..the first Bobbit Worm attacks and eats a foolish Scorpionfish that wandered in too close...

...the second went for a Long Arm Octopus that got too close....I was quite upset, as I Love octopuses, but luckily the plucky little octopus was too tough for the bobbit Worm and escaped after a few seconds..

Last edited by a moderator:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I have more than once thought that Dune was based on that thinking and they missed the boat on the movie for a really spectacular villain :grin:

I keep thinking of a mantis shrimp with I look at it and wonder if there is a relationship.

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
great vid! in some of the fossil checklists ive been reading there are at least half a dozen annelid worm species listed, and many of them are known from chitinous "teeth" that look quite a bit like the "pincers" on that bobbit worm.

Solecodont Teeth

Arabellites Tooth

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.