Video - Bobbit Worm - Dinner time

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by DWhatley, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Note the first creature is a scorpionfish and not, as I first thought, a hairy octopus :grin:.

Bobbit Worms are a very strange nocturnal predatory worm. They have most of their bodies buried in the sand, with just their frightening looking pincers showing.

I was patiently filming a couple that were close together and my waiting paid off...

..the first Bobbit Worm attacks and eats a foolish Scorpionfish that wandered in too close...

...the second went for a Long Arm Octopus that got too close....I was quite upset, as I Love octopuses, but luckily the plucky little octopus was too tough for the bobbit Worm and escaped after a few seconds..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
    Architeuthoceras likes this.
  2. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

wow.... imagine if they grew large enough to take divers, they would become the top predator in the ocean.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I have more than once thought that Dune was based on that thinking and they missed the boat on the movie for a really spectacular villain :grin:

I keep thinking of a mantis shrimp with I look at it and wonder if there is a relationship.

4. Pr0teusUnbound

Pr0teusUnbound GPO Registered

great vid! in some of the fossil checklists ive been reading there are at least half a dozen annelid worm species listed, and many of them are known from chitinous "teeth" that look quite a bit like the "pincers" on that bobbit worm.

Solecodont Teeth

Arabellites Tooth

Attached Files: