• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Vendor Experience?

I have a suggestion...
Quite often we get questions about sources for cephalopods and a foods we purchase and our experiences with particular companies. We recommend the good ones and warn about the ones we have bad experiences with. It would be fantastic to be able to refer folks to one place where sources and user reviews could be posted. Instead of posting and re-posting this information over and over in individual threads.
It could be a sticky "Vendor reviews" with individual vendor threads where users could post their personal experiences good or bad. If it is easy to find, users will be more likely to add their experiences and keep it current and up to date. It sure will help us keep a finger on the figurative pulse of what is going on with these companies and alert us to changes such as lower/higher mortality rates. It needs to be organized so it is easy to find reviews of individual stores otherwise we waste time searching and searching.
I know many of us have a lot to share.
For instance, this could be a new thread with "store name" as title.

Sachs Systems Aquaculture
Cannot connect to MySQL server
Excellent company to deal with.:thumbsup:
This store is run by Paul Sachs and his family. I have used them several times to purchase fiddler crabs. I ordered 40 fiddlers, usually ships in 2 days. This time it took an extra day, due to the very cold weather they came DOA. I contacted them and got a quick response, they offered to replace or refund the price of the crabs. I decided to have them replace the crabs and I will pay for upgraded shipping. I unfortunately lost my octopus the day I received the DOA shipment and requested to put off the re-shipment until after the holiday rush. I want to share the email they sent me. It is clear they care about their customers and made me feel good. :tentacle:

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to come up with something to say that's meaningful in such a situation :frown:

Yes, we will be happy to work with you in anyway possible. Let me know when you are ready, and I'll send a PayPal money request for the shipping.

In the meantime, Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Paul Sachs

Does any one worry about the liability of posting neg feed back here? Octopuses are a specialty animal to keep and this is the ONLY source of information for them. So if we start an actually thread it makes it much easier for companies to track and that can be a problem for us all.

I have to be honest, while some of our posts would be good, I worry about TONMO and ME getting sued if I bash a company.

Remember Oprah and the whole mad cow thing?

It is perfectly safe to make statements about what you think, like "I don't trust company X". But you might get in trouble if you state "facts" like "company X is not trust worthy." If you tell a story, like "they took my money three times and never sent me anything" you might be challenged and required to prove that it is true. However, if you tell about your impression of your experience, like "I thought they were dishonest, and I will never buy from them again", then you are not in any danger. Just don't phrase things as facts unless you are willing to prove them in court, but you can give your opinion all day.

I think a thread like this can be very useful, but it can be abused by a single person with a grudge, and a willingness to exaggerate (or worse). I suggest that we just give our opinions, try to be fair, and that the moderators remove any posts that state opinions as facts, or that tell stories that are negative and might not be true. Does Tonmo have a policy about this, or know the laws that might apply?

Many major companies let consumers review products and provide feed back - so we can too.

I tried to keep an active list of supplies on TCP and realized that with constant supply changes it simply was not a 1 person job. The TONMO community has more current info and did a much better. This new idea could be the next big step forward.

James

I just ordered from saltwaterfish.com. A few years ago I did purchase from them an octopus that passed quickly and they still had my credit from it, so I purchased a Xmas gift for myself yesterday. Will update on arrival Friday. I like that they give you the choice to pick up at a Fedex facility which is what I am going to do Friday.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back