Vacation???

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by KDS, Jun 19, 2007.

1. KDS

KDS O. bimaculoides Registered

My family is planning a camping trip for eight days. What in the world am I suppose to do with my two baby cuttlefish?! Because gas is so expensive, they said I can only come into town once (to feed and check the water). How long can two one month old cuttles go without food? Do I need to have someone come in and feed them every other day or every day? Is going on vacation pretty much sentencing my cuttles to death?
    KDS

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

KDS,

This is a definite problem for most of us. Having a friend or pet sitter come in would be the the most desirable, someone with aquarium knowledge better and someone with a saltwater set up the best (well almost the best, my son is in training for feeding all my tanks, is adult, lives with us and has his own saltwater setup - I do, however, pay him for the effort). You might check your closest pet store to see if any of the clerks would be willing to help out for a reasonable fee - assuming your parents are comfortable with allowing a stranger in the house.

If you have a small, locally owned pet store (particularly if you buy from them frequently) the owner might be willing to babysit if you have a set-up you can transport - provide your own water and food.

What are you feeding them? If you are feeding tiny shore shrimp or can get some (http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/ - write a note to Phyllis that you need TINY ones for baby cuttlefish, there is a place for comments on the order form and she will take care of it without a problem but without a note the shrimp will be much larger) and be sure they will eat them before you go, you should be able to put a 4 day supply in the tank/net at one time. My two went through between 4 and 6 each day (we are up to 6 - 8 now). The count varies so I believe they would not eat them all at one time. You should probably sprinkle in a little flake food for the shrimp and add some liverock with algae if they are in a net to keep the shrimp alive (fortunately, they will eat each other if there is a death or if they get too hungry but dead shrimp produce ammonia very quickly). If you have them in a tank with LR now, the shrimp should survive without supplement. If you are feeding mysis, I don't think this will work.

Good luck and let us know what you try AND the results.