• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

USA Cuttlefish?

Tarcin

Larval Mass
Registered
Ok so I doubt I will be getting a cuttlefish anytime soon, ($$ dead) and I read the article about taking care of a cuttlefish, and it said that it is advised not to own a cuttle fish in America. I know that I want a cuttlefish, well atleast before I die, and I doubt I will move out of America so I was wondering if there was a way to get Cuttlefish eggs or convince that university supplier in Texas ( I live in Texas) to give out cuttlefish eggs (for a price, of course)

Thanks to all who help me!

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
There are many members that have kept cuttlefish in America. Have you kept salt-water tanks before? You just need to have a properly cycled (and sized) tank and be patient, cuttlefish are occasionally available for purchase to the general public.

Tarcin

Larval Mass
Registered
Ehh I am not experienced in the art of salt water tanks. I doubt I will get a cuttlefish anytime soon, but I will hang around here to increase my knowledge on celaphods.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
It is not that the advise is not to keep a cuttle in the US but that there are none native to our waters so they must be captive bred (preferable) or brought in as eggs or wild caught animals.

Members online