USA Cuttlefish?

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Tarcin, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Tarcin

Tarcin Larval Mass Registered

Ok so I doubt I will be getting a cuttlefish anytime soon, ($$ dead) and I read the article about taking care of a cuttlefish, and it said that it is advised not to own a cuttle fish in America. I know that I want a cuttlefish, well atleast before I die, and I doubt I will move out of America so I was wondering if there was a way to get Cuttlefish eggs or convince that university supplier in Texas ( I live in Texas) to give out cuttlefish eggs (for a price, of course)

Thanks to all who help me!

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

There are many members that have kept cuttlefish in America. Have you kept salt-water tanks before? You just need to have a properly cycled (and sized) tank and be patient, cuttlefish are occasionally available for purchase to the general public.

4. Tarcin

Tarcin Larval Mass Registered

Ehh I am not experienced in the art of salt water tanks. I doubt I will get a cuttlefish anytime soon, but I will hang around here to increase my knowledge on celaphods.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

It is not that the advise is not to keep a cuttle in the US but that there are none native to our waters so they must be captive bred (preferable) or brought in as eggs or wild caught animals.

6. Ominojacu

Ominojacu Larval Mass Registered

I just bought some eggs from www.nyaquatic.com, thought I get the word out that they have some available for those that are looking