• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Upgrading

I've been considering upgrading my 55 gallon tank for awhile, the sump sprang a mysterious leak and now the pump has burned out... So, I was thinking of a 92 gallon corner tank, but am wondering if it is going to annoy me that two sides are inaccessible from the back. Any thoughts?

Is this a ceph tank or something else( reef , aggressive , etc...) ? Ive always thought that a corner tank would be awesome for an octo tank.... i work on a few of that style of tank, and the 54 corner is much easier to reach all sides of the glass without the use of a ladder.... however, whenever i work on a 92, i need a ladder and my shirt usually ends up soaked..... nice presentation piece though, and a space saver!

Well, it is going to be a cuttle tank when I have more time on my hands - I'm a little busy taking care of my 5 month old human :baby: to be able to take care of little cuttles again. Right now I would transfer what is in my 55 gallon, which is live rock, some mushroom corals, a small clownfish and a watchman's goby.

I love the look of corner tanks. As long as everything you really need access to is in the stand, the shape shouldn't be a big deal. Then again you might need some really long tongs and a step stool to reach stuff in the back corner.

I came across some thread not long ago with someone keeping dwarf cuttles in a corner tank. I think it was on ReefCentral.

The only other downside that i can think of is the difficulty to get a premanufactured stand and canopy that looks any good.... thanks be to having a wood working shop

one of my tanks is a 44 gal corner pentagon (non-ceph). i like it and don't find it frustrating that two sides are against walls. but because it is 24 in tall and my arms are 26 in i have to stand on a step stool to do tank maintenance.

Jennifer,
I have a 140 that I both love and hate. It looks terrific but we custom ordered it at 3' tall and the bottom sits at the height of my dining room furniture which only leaves a small amount of room at the top. It has a canopy with two doors in the front and I have to squeeze my arm and sometimes shoulder in there to work on it while standing on a ladder (I did find a decent looking closet ladder to keep in the dining room as the work ladder had to go). We will convert it to a vulgaris tank eventually but I have some corals and fish that need to be relocated and need to secure the rock work for an Octo. The advantage of an octo or cuttles in this tank will be the ability to cut off half the lighting which will hopefully reduce the weekly algae build up on the viewing sides. My wall sides are black so I let the critters clean them but the viewing area HAS to be cleaned weekly even after two years. If The tank were only 2' tall, it would be much easier to deal with but as it is, there is no way to touch anything more than half way down without some kind of tool.

I would think that a single side facing glass would be great for cleaning. I have a little octogon that is a pain to clean with all the angles and seams.

The biggest hassle to me is dealing with a tank with not enough room in the stand for a decent sump and skimmer. Cubes work out well to save space, get square footage for animal movement and retain cabinet space.
cuttlehex.jpg

cubetank.jpg

We have a 60 gallon hex tank, and we liked it at first because of the interesting shape but the view is limited. Busted a seam cleaning it. And yes, the space inside the stand is hard to work with.

I have a homemade (purchased used) 45 gallon hex acrylic and the "manufacturer" put two doors in the cabinet so that it opens very wide. With the acrylic, the simple sump, the doors and the low light (currently a Merc tank) it is my lowest maintenance tank and dryest to water change so, as alway, "it depends".

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back