• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Upgrading to a 120 gallon

I am upgrading to a 120. The tank was purchased by my brother, he made the decision not to set this baby up. He was offering it up for sale. It was custom built from glasscages, footprint 4'x2'x25". It was to be a peninsula, it has starphire glass on 3 sides. He built a custom stand that was to be thrown in with the tank. Stand was 3' tall. Much too tall, I would have needed a ladder to reach in. We are making it shorter, adding sides and doors to enclose it. I needed to make it mine, the style, while beautiful just would look out of place in my home. I will share my journey with ya all :biggrin2:
Tank~
DSCN0563.jpg

Stand~
(in David's garage)
120stand.jpg

Be sure you shoot the mess :sagrin:

I really do like his stand design. It will be interesting to see contemporary turned country but that is definitely easier than visa versa.

Very cool. I love building new systems its soooo fun. I cant wait to see how your stand turn out. I'm in the process of building one for a freind right now, once its done I will post the step by step pics.

I got evicted from the garage. My husband and son are putting a full roll cage on his jeep. :mad: Not a happy day.
I will go take a picture of my cabinet doors and not sure I want to post the actual stand until it's done. :heee:

Here is 1 of the cabinet doors, still a lot of work tp be done one them. It is bead board, we glued it together last night. Look what happened to my work space! My tank stand got moved outside completely, guess I have no clout here.

DSCN0577.jpg

On a happier note, my brother may come by tomorrow to build chambers in the tank.

dwhatley;156231 said:
Be sure you shoot the mess :sagrin:

I really do like his stand design. It will be interesting to see contemporary turned country but that is definitely easier than visa versa.

I hate sharing my messes but I will just for you :wink:
You really like it? Sorry but I don't think you'll recognize it when we are through. The bottom part we cut off was completely unusable, my brother used few nails, he glued the you know what out of it. We had to rebuild the bottom shelf/leg support from scratch. But you'll just have to wait and see.

The basic shape has potential for anything so I am sure it will come out well.

Full roll cages are not a bad thing for a Jeep. We sold ours when our oldest turned 15 so that it could not be the car he learned to drive. I had two experiences (I drove it in the summers in a semi-rural environment - not off road - for 4 years) one with the Jeep and one if I had been driving the Jeep it would not have ended well and decided that the stability was not adequate for a new driver. In neither case did an accident occur but a new driver would have had a different outcome.

Here is a quick look at my new protien skimmer. It is a Coralife rated for 125 gallons. i would have gone oversized but David already had it and gave me a break, saves him the trouble of putting it up for sale.

DSCN0582.jpg

I have the smaller version of this style from Coralife on two tanks. It is my favorite design for ease of cleaning (if only they would put a swicth on the plug). It does a decent job and can be put either inside or outside the sump (I have it in both configurations). The only caution is be sure you have the O-ring in your hand when you clean it. It should be rinsed when you do but the big problem is the O-ring will stick to the top and then fall off somewhere on the way to the sink.

We have always had off road vehicles. The roll cage is a good thing but I wish they were not working on it right now. They do have a tendency to flip and Justin takes it off roading, quite often he is banned from parking in my driveway because he drops clumps of mud. When I was 17 I bought a brand new CJ5 (they were not called Wranglers back in the old days LOL) Mark was a bad influence, we have been together since I was 16. My oldest son sold his wrangler a couple years ago in favor of a Porche. My husband is like a kid, they keep adding doo dads. the winch is new, they built the bumpers last year and added a lift. Will it ever end?

I borrowed one similar to this when I was in transition, had all my livestock in a bucket. It overflowed, it's going inside. Thanks for the tip about the O-ring. My luck it will go down the garbage disposal one day.

It sounds like a stupid thing to mention but the design makes it important to notice EVERY time you clean it because you can't put it back together without it (I really should get a spare). I have never had mine to overflow and rarely have to adjust them but I prefer inside for the same reason as I have others to cause water issues on the floor. Fortunately, we built the house with tile almost everywhere. I have decided the next house gets center floor drains so I can just use a pressure washer to clean the floors :tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back