• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Upgrading to a 120 gallon

Note my summer fire place solid screen ( what ever you call it) placed on top to keep Maverick out. My son's kitten jumped up on top of the tank and was trying to reach the water with his paw. (this goofy kitten has a thing for water, always in the sink or bathtub) When the tank was on the floor, he kept jumping in and he could not get out. I pictured him floating in the tank tomorrow morning. :bugout:

DSCN0723.jpg

If I would do that every day, I would be in so much better condition :wink:. Waiting for you to reenergized!

Oops :oops: You already did, I just didn't turn the page.

Fast thinking on the kitten excluder. Any time someone mentions this kind of a curiosity it reminds of something that was so sad to me as a child it still hurts when I remember. It is one of those stories that makes you laugh and cry at the same time. My cat hurt a baby robin and I was able to rescue it but it couldn't fly. I kept it in my room and it became very friendly. It would hop up on the back of my chair when I did my homework and sit there as long as I was working. One day a friend from elementary school wanted to see it so we walked to my house for lunch. The bedroom door did not get fully closed when we left and the bird found the nearby bathroom. The toilet seat was up, it got curious (or wanted water), fell in and drown.

Yep, the screen was a brilliant forethought.

Thank you and whew, it worked, kitten alive and well, that is it didn't drown in the tank. He is just always doing something naughty. Knocks over plants and lamps and is on the kitchen coounters, my son raised a hooligan!

Twice I have had a cat in the tank.

My 40 gallon has a sturdy wood canopy on it that my cats like to sleep on, most of the time its fine cause there is nothing they could do to hurt anything. Anyway, twice I have had the lid off and was cleaning the tank, and I saw butters in the corner of my eye at my feet, sure enough right as it occurred to me what was about to happen, I yelled NOO and SPLASH! This has happened twice the first time his front legs and chin got wet, but he quickly saved himself. the second time I caught him in mid air but his hind legs and tail got soaked....right after he does it he sits in the corner and stares at me like it was my fault.

butters-1.jpg

My dogs would not fit :wink:. The Irish Wolfhound gets jealous when I am working on the tanks and she thinks I should be petting her. She gets between the tank and my body and pushes. I only out weigh her by about 20 pounds so the shove is effective. The newf just trys to drink the sump water and then throws up.:roll:

I was thinking what a shock it would be when he discovered it was salt water :yuck:
I would love to see how he'd react, priceless! The other kitten is much bettter behaved, you see I raised that one :biggrin2: My dog could care less about my aquariums, he is just as sweet as sweet can be. I have contacted my rock guy, may be going to pick it out tomorrow if his wife dosen't have plans. I got about 10 more gallons today. I don't want to fill it anyway due to the displacment of the rock. Have been putting off the last coat of paint on the doors, it is going on today.

He does not seem to mind that is it saltwater (and it is not like I don't have several water buckets for them in the house). He drinks enough to make himself sick. Fortunately, since we upgraded both 35's to 60+ and used the 35's (tall) as sumps with higher sides and lower water level, he can no longer easily get into them.

Just talked to Bill, my rock guy. I am going to get fully cured LR from his insanely enormous system at noon. He is also giving all the slated water I can carry. I am also gining him some of my bta's to clear out my 40 so I can give it to my brother. At least I know they as well as the ones D got are going to be in good hands, makes the bitter a little sweeter. I keep telling myself this is the time to let them all go, it's a good thing right? This is hard, saying good bye to my first love isn't easy.

I picked up the rock this afternoon.

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

Added the rock and water, my tank is finally full. Pumps working, waiting for it to clear up. I have all the rock from my 40 reef that will fill it out, it's so big the new rock looks like nothing.

DSCN0732.jpg

This rock is fully cured, some of it has been in his system for 4 years some just under a year. How long ya all think I need to wait after it is cycled to add Diablo?
Wondering if I could get away with less than the 3 month general rule.

When you say it is "cycled" and are speaking in terms of LR in an aquarium store, I am going to assume (dangerous word) that the term is meant to suggest that there is nothing to "die off" and you should not experience an ammonia->nitrite spike. HOWEVER, again assuming that this rock has been in a LR tank and not in an aquarium environment, the filtering bacteria will be minimual (fortunately, your current tank rock is not in this condition). The problem with the typical LR bin is that it is not fed regularly so it is not really very alive.

If I were doing this (there are lots of different ideas on cycling so this is my personal opinion) and anxious about size (of the octopus), I think I would start swapping some of the rocks between the tanks so that your existing rock can help the new rock but not cause a wild swing in either tank (your bottom substrate will help keep the existing tank stable). You might want to wait a week to be sure you are not going to get a die off cycle in the new stuff before putting it in the tank but you can add a piece or two from your existing tank right away. After a stable two weeks, I would also start with some feedable cleanup critters like serpents or hermits that will let you feed the tank and build the bacteria.

The rock came from a very large system, he has a 330 gallon sps reef, a 500 softie doninated a 440 open sump . It was not just in dead lifeless tank curing. (just the transfer being that we removed it from the water will cause a bit of die off, that cannot be helped, we covered all the peices quickly with water and transported it submerged) I didn't plan to throw Diablo in next week. I was also thinking about getting a clean up crew, crabs in particular. I wanted to wait and see if I get amonia before adding my rock from my 40, it's got a lot of coral on it.
Have been thinking about having to leave for a week next month. I hate to leave her in the 50 while I am gone. I'd need to get her in the 120 and be able to watch how things closely for a few weeks at least. Might be getting ahead of myself but can't help planning and trying to figure out what is the best way to go.

I never dreamed you would follow another's experimental lead :sagrin: but I am only exposed to the LR bins here and there is nothing in them to feed the LR (or at least the stuff in it) so the bacteria growth is minimal (needless to say I don't buy locally). I was suggesting that by mixing the LR you could start a clean up crew early and feed the heck out of it :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back