• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Upgrading to a 120 gallon

Do you ever have heat problems with your tanks? I had a hard time keeping my temp below 80 for a long time. At first I thought it was the light, but then I had to remove the pump for something and low and be hold my tank was at 76 with out problems. It could have just been my pump was old but I did research on the pumps and came to understand that a lot of people had the same or similar problems with the Rio pumps.

Any electrical appliance today is a real difficulty to determine quality. At one time you could count on Mag pumps to run forever but last time we went pump shopping the reviews were very negative. Cooler running pumps should be more efficient so they are doubly more desireable but getting a feel which to choose is difficult to determine. You might hop over to RC to see what the latest discussions are on pumps for both heat and longevity.

I have had heat issues with some of my tanks. I have had major issues with my 50 when I had a 250 HQI over it. Now with the T5's a fan is all thats needed. My biocube is topless but will heat up, again a small fan blowing accross the surface is all that is needed. I have a 40 in my dining room with a small fan mounted on the wall above the tank, never had to use it. The same with my 15 in the living room.
As far as pumps go, I have been using Rios for years and have had no problems so I feel comfortable sticking with them. I purchased all the pvc, just a matter of drilling the false wall. I am going to try to get my brother to come by tomorrow to get me going, Mark is uneasy drilling my tank, if he makes a mistake he'll feel horrible. I understand how he feels, it's unfamiliar and not his project so

Lmecher;157176 said:
Mark is uneasy drilling my tank, if he makes a mistake he'll feel horrible. I understand how he feels, it's unfamiliar and not his project so

Thats how I feel when my husband says he will drill something for my tanks:goofysca:. I have seen to many of his projects where he gets rushed and starts slap sticking it together... though it looks from the end results that your husband is far handier. But do you think I can tell Chauncey this... Oh no... not on your life. :lol:

Here we go kids...

first hole
DSCN0689.jpg

both holes with fittings
DSCN0705.jpg

back chamber w/skimmer and both pumps, nice fit with plenty of wiggle room
DSCN0698.jpg

my mess, I know it's not much but it'll get worse I'm sure
DSCN0706.jpg

Mark and Justin put the tank on the stand when I was out of the room (grumble grumble) has to come back off, no foam padding underneath!
DSCN0707.jpg

Still a ways to go but getting there slowly.

It just made it w/cord stretched to it's limit LOL. It is virtually indesrtuctable had it fallen, aside from the shade, we actually made it from an antique textile mill spool. I collect them (spools) and thank you.

Houston...we have a problem!

I got the foam/padding, everything looking good. I dumped 1 20 LB bag of sand in, was about to cut open the second, thought just for the heck of it, I'd run out get the level. (the stand was perfectly level, never checked with the tank on it) It's not level, darn darn darn :hmm:
After staring at in in disbelief for a few minutes, I put the level on the floor, guess what?
My home was built in 1890, this is what we have been having problems with for years. It is off towards the right side 1/16". My husband is busy till later on and both my boys are out of town, no way I could ever budge this monster tank. So I am hoping very hard that my brother can stop by. This tank is never going to get wet (boo hoo)
Why can't anything ever just be easy. :sad:

Just because :-/

Got it solved. I just got done carrying about 70 gallons of water. (from the basement up to the first floor) My hard work and preserverance are FINALLY paying off. I will post a photo as soon as I cool off, very tired, hot and sweaty. All this for an octopus, well a very special octopus.
Can you believe I have water in my tank...woo hoo. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back