update from the field

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
At D's request I'm giving a little update of life here in Indo (this explains my frequent outages). Since Jan 2009 I've been working for Conservation International Indonesia to support two of the marine monitoring teams in learning new techniques, analyses, report writing, etc. It's not a ceph-based job, but I love it, and in my spare time am trying to help spread the ceph knowledge around. The job involves a fair amount of time in the field with the team, with some chances for night dives. here are some pics...
UL: what may be a new species, or at least a new record; UR: Abdopus sp.
LL: Drifter experimental ultralight for aerial surveys, and one of our team members after a dive; LR: Veiw from the boat, last week's work

Attachments

• conv_303741.jpg
    conv_303741.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 131
  • conv_303742.jpg
    conv_303742.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 137
  • conv_303743.jpg
    conv_303743.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_303744.jpg
    conv_303744.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 99
Wow wow wow wow wow!

PS: at first I found it slightly problematic to interpret UL, until I saw that the arms were left in B&W, making it an octopus... Is that red bit posterior arm underside?

THANKS!!! Now you are stuck updating this 'cause it is even more exciting than I suspected!!!! Are you learning to fly the ultra light? My camera has a way to do that pick a color silhouette thing but I have not yet attempted to use it but you may have motivated me to try.

LR: Veiw from the boat, last week's work
I will have to challenge that last word :razz:. We may have to start a Dream Job thread for you and Thales.

Glad you like em. I do love the job and the people I work with thoroughly, though it's absolutely 100% work, and does have its trade offs. The pics are from Raja Apmat, W. Papua:
UL) Kri island (the pink bit is an error in my photoshopping), UR: Mayalibit Bay
LL, LR: Wayag Island. I don't fly the plane- that;s the job of Max Ammer, who runs Papua Diving, and we get a certain number of hours per year for aerial monitoring. I oversee our staff in doing this (write the protocol, schedule, organize/logistics, help analysis/reporting) but they are the ones who go up regularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back