update from the field

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by mucktopus, Oct 31, 2009.

1. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

At D's request I'm giving a little update of life here in Indo (this explains my frequent outages). Since Jan 2009 I've been working for Conservation International Indonesia to support two of the marine monitoring teams in learning new techniques, analyses, report writing, etc. It's not a ceph-based job, but I love it, and in my spare time am trying to help spread the ceph knowledge around. The job involves a fair amount of time in the field with the team, with some chances for night dives. here are some pics...
    UL: what may be a new species, or at least a new record; UR: Abdopus sp.
    LL: Drifter experimental ultralight for aerial surveys, and one of our team members after a dive; LR: Veiw from the boat, last week's work

Attached Files:

2. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Wow wow wow wow wow!

PS: at first I found it slightly problematic to interpret UL, until I saw that the arms were left in B&W, making it an octopus... Is that red bit posterior arm underside?

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Crissy. Nice stuff - where was the LR shot taken?

4. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

:shock: thats cool!

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

THANKS!!! Now you are stuck updating this 'cause it is even more exciting than I suspected!!!! Are you learning to fly the ultra light? My camera has a way to do that pick a color silhouette thing but I have not yet attempted to use it but you may have motivated me to try.

I will have to challenge that last word :razz:. We may have to start a Dream Job thread for you and Thales.

6. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Glad you like em. I do love the job and the people I work with thoroughly, though it's absolutely 100% work, and does have its trade offs. The pics are from Raja Apmat, W. Papua:
    UL) Kri island (the pink bit is an error in my photoshopping), UR: Mayalibit Bay
    LL, LR: Wayag Island. I don't fly the plane- that;s the job of Max Ammer, who runs Papua Diving, and we get a certain number of hours per year for aerial monitoring. I oversee our staff in doing this (write the protocol, schedule, organize/logistics, help analysis/reporting) but they are the ones who go up regularly.

7. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Raja Ampat?

#7    Top
  8. Antropoteuthis

Antropoteuthis Cuttlefish Registered

woow i always dreamed of diving in indonesia!.. really cool photos ;)