Upcoming Presentations on Cephalopod Research

Tenth International Congress of Neuroethology

At the University of Maryland, College Park, MD USA • August 5-10, 2012

Lots of cephalopod studies at this ISN meeting, which overall looks to be amazing. Here are some ceph-related abstracts:

1) The neurophysiological basis of motor function in the octopus - an animal with an unusual ‘embodiment’
Binyamin Hochner1*

2) Meeting an alien, behavioral experiments on the octopus
Michael Kuba1*, Tamar Gutnick1 and Binyamin Hochner1, 2

3) Does nociceptive sensitization confer fitness benefits on injured squid, Loligo pealeii?
Robyn J. Crook1, 2*, Roger T. Hanlon3 and Edgar T. Walters1

4) Evidence for a rhodopsin-retinochrome photosensitive system in chromatophores of the squid, Loligo pealeii
Alexandra Kingston1*, George Bell2, Alan M. Kuzirian2, Roger T. Hanlon2 and Thomas W. Cronin1

5) Neural control of dynamic structural coloration in squid iridophores.
Trevor J. Wardill1*, Paloma T. Gonzalez Bellido1*, Robyn Crook2 and Roger T. Hanlon1

6) POLARISATION VISION, AN UNEXPLORED CHANNEL FOR COMMUNICATION?
Justin Marshall1*, Martin How1, Tsyr-Huei Chiou1, Nicholas Roberts2, Shelby Temple1, 2 and Thomas Cronin3

7) High-resolution polarization vision in cephalopods
Shelby E. Temple1, 2*, Vincenzo Pignatelli3, Tayce Cook2, Martin J. How3, Tsyr-Huei Chiou3, Nicholas W. Roberts1 and Justin Marshall3

8) Dynamics of chromatophore response to visual stimulation
Stavros P. Hadjisolomou1* and Frank W. Grasso1

9) Visual cognition in cuttlefish Sepia pharaonis: discrimination, generalization, and amodal completion
Chuan-Chin Chiao1, 2* and I-Rong Lin2

Will update this when the final program is released.

S.

Oh maaaan, I would love to attend that. Not too far to drive (albeit a long one) but being out of work nixes any possibility and if I do get a job, I can't take leave. Lottery, where are you? I wish these seminars would place the talks on-line afterwards even if they charged a small fee ...

Shoot, I was going to PM Robyn and NeuroBadger when I saw the squid topic :roll:

Does nociceptive sensitization confer fitness benefits on injured squid, Loligo pealeii?
Robyn J. Crook 1, 2*, Roger T. Hanlon3 and Edgar T. Walters1

Neural control of dynamic structural coloration in squid iridophores.
Trevor J. Wardill1*, Paloma T. Gonzalez Bellido1*, Robyn Crook 2 and Roger T. Hanlon1

Also one should note this presentation :biggrin2:

Dynamics of chromatophore response to visual stimulation
Stavros P. Hadjisolomou 1* and Frank W. Grasso1

Starvos,
Will your paper be available outside the conference? Reading the abstract it occurred to me that the described reaction seems similar to (albeit perhaps opposite) the reaction of the eye pupil after a flash of light (or quick change of light) which dove-tails a bit with the possibility (and something I have wondered aloud about so am interested in watching what is found) of cephs seeing color with their skin. Cool stuff!

DWhatley;190925 said:
Starvos,
Will your paper be available outside the conference? Reading the abstract it occurred to me that the described reaction seems similar to (albeit perhaps opposite) the reaction of the eye pupil after a flash of light (or quick change of light) which dove-tails a bit with the possibility (and something I have wondered aloud about so am interested in watching what is found) of cephs seeing color with their skin. Cool stuff!

D, these results are going to be published later this year, as part of a special issue on cephalopods in a journal for invertebrate neuroscience (not sure of exact dates, they haven't been posted yet). I don't think it's going to be open access, but will send you a copy when the article gets accepted and published.

Something to think about: if driving to, and staying overnight at Maryland is not a problem, then maybe we can arrange a get-together with the people presenting there for a couple of pints after talks are done- get to know each other and talk more about cephalopod behaviour.

S.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I am in the middle of some hopefuls for employment. I have a psedu-uncle in Baltimore so I might be able to bunk in with him for a night but that is a loooong drive for an evening out. Don't count me out yet though, I should have a better feel for my status in the next two weeks.

Alas, I am going to be stuck in Massachusetts when the neuroethology conference happens. Robyn and I are chugging away on our injury study.

I am amused by how many of the people who've written these papers I've met. :biggrin2:

Cephalopod-fest tomorrow, Thursday, at Brooklyn College:

Priscilla F. Pollister Biology Seminar Series
Thursday, October 18th, 12:30 pm 113 NE
Greg Barord

Laboratory of Invertebrate Behavior and Ecology and CUNY Graduate Center (advisor, Dr. Basil)
"Disappearance of a living fossil: Population Assessments and Behavioral Observations of Nautilus sp. in the Indo-Pacific"

Greg's talk will be followed by Binyamin Hochner's:

- "The Brain/Body/Behavior organization: an ‘embodied’ view on the organization of the nervous system of Octopus vulgaris."
- 3:30PM on Thursday, October 18th, 2012.
- William James Hall, Room 5117. Directions (http://pc.brooklyn.cuny.edu/TRAVEL.HTM) .

Just an update: The presentors at the Cephalopod International Advisory Council Symposium are top notch! There is some very exciting ceph research happening all over the world right now! I will make sure to give a review of the week when I get home... but for now, must get to work. My talk is tomorrow morning! Cross your tentacles for me!

~GPO

Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology - 2013 Annual Meeting Jan. 4th - 7th

SICB 2013 Meeting, San Francisco, CA, January 3-7, 2013

Friday, Jan. 4 P1
Complementary to Symposium: Understanding First Order Phenoytypes
15:00 - 17:00 (Poster) Grand Ballroom
P1.56 PUNGOR, J/R*; ALBERTIN, C/B; KANG, S; RAGSDALE, C/W Molecular Characterization of the Octopus Visual System

Friday, Jan. 4 S1-1
Symposium: When Predators Attack: Sensing Motion in Predator-Prey Interactions Part I - Sensory Systems 09:20 Continental Ballroom 4
S1-1.3 DERBY, Charles The role of chemicals in interactions between inking molluscs and their predators

Friday, Jan. 4 10
Complementary to Symposium: Understanding First Order Phenotypes: Transcriptomics for Emerging Model Systems - Part I
08:00 Yosemite C
10.1 PANKEY, MS*; OAKLEY, TH "Parallel molecular signatures underlie convergent evolution in two bioluminescent squid"

Friday, Jan. 4 10
Complementary to Symposium: Understanding First Order Phenotypes: Transcriptomics for Emerging Model Systems - Part I
09:20 Yosemite C
10.5 MOROZ, L.L. Genomic Bases for Independent Origins of Neurons and Complex Brains: New Insights from RNA-seq and genomic sequencing of basal metazoans, basal deuterostomes and molluscs

Friday, Jan. 4 11
Complementary to Symposium: Understanding First Order Phenotypes: Transcriptomics for Emerging Model Systems - Part II
10:40 Yosemite C
11.3 KOENIG, KM*; MEYER, E; GROSS, JM RNA-seq as a Tool to Understand the Evolution and Development of the Single-Chambered Eye: Transcriptomics of the Long-finned Squid, Doryteuthis (Loligo) pealeii

Friday, Jan. 4 30
Reproductive Behavior
13:40 Continental Ballroom 2/3
30.3 HUFFARD, CL*; CALDWELL, RL Female proceptive behavior in octopus (Abdopus aculeatus d’Orbigny 1834)

Saturday, Jan. 5 37
Complementary to Symposium: When Predators Attack: Sensing and Motion in Predator-Prey Interactions I 09:20 Imperial A
37.5 ALUPAY, J/S*; CALDWELL, R/L The costs and benefits of losing an arm: autotomy in the octopus Abdopus aculeatus

Saturday, Jan. 5 P2
Complementary to Symposium: Physiological Responses to Similtaneous Shifts
P2.25 SEIBEL, B.A. Obligate metabolic suppression in an active oceanic predator in an oxygen minimum zone

Saturday, Jan. 5 37
Complementary to Symposium: When Predators Attack: Sensing and Motion in Predator-Prey Interactions I 08:40 Imperial A
37.3 SWEENEY, A.M.*; JOHNSEN, S; GAGNON, Y; MORSE, D.E.; STRAMSKI, D. Jurassic marine photonics: Squid dynamic iridescence and predation by large extinct marine reptiles

Saturday, Jan. 5 P2
Complementary to Symposium: When Predators Attack
P2.51 SINDERBRAND, C.S.*; BARTOL, I.K. Biomechanics and behavior of anti-predator responses in squid Lolliguncula brevis

Saturday, Jan. 5 P2
Complementary to Symposium: When Predators Attack
P2.53 WIGTON, R/A*; BARTOL, I/K Hydrodynamic and kinematic turning performance of brief squid Lolliguncula brevis

Saturday, Jan. 5 37
Complementary to Symposium: When Predators Attack: Sensing and Motion in Predator-Prey Interactions I 09:00 Imperial A
37.4 JOHNSEN, S.*; NILSSON, D.-E.; WARRANT, E.J. Why do giant squid have giant eyes?

Saturday, Jan. 5 60
Community Ecology
11:00 Continental Ballroom 7
60.4 SAVOCA, M.S.*; NEVITT, G.A. Tritrophic interactions involving a global climate regulator mediate foraging in marine top predators: Evidence from a 50-year seabird dietary database in the Southern Ocean

Saturday, Jan. 5 54
Reef Ecology
09:40 Golden Gate 6/7
54.6 HOFMEISTER, J.K.K. Factors influencing distribution and abundance of octopus inside and outside of a marine protected area in a kelp forest rocky reef ecosystem

Saturday, Jan. 5 66
Neurobiology: Sensorimotor Integration
13:00 Continental Ballroom 2/3
66.1 NAIR, S.*; BAROCAS, J.; HADJISOLOMOU, S.; GRASSO, F.W. Chemosensory and Mechanosensory Mediation of Inter-sucker Coordination in Octopus bimaculoides

Saturday, Jan. 5 66
Neurobiology: Sensorimotor Integration
13:20 Continental Ballroom 2/3
66.2 SAMSON, J.E.*; MOONEY, T.A.; GUSSEKLOO, S.W.S.; HANLON, R.T. Behavioral responses to sound stimuli in cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis)

Saturday, Jan. 5 50
Molecular Evolution and Population Genetics
09:20 Continental Ballroom 8
50.5 CHAVEZ, A.A.; GORMAN, C.*; LOSTROH, C.P.; NISHIGUCHI, M.K. Genetic switches control host specificity in a squid-Vibrio symbiosis

Sunday, Jan. 6 P3
Bioindicators, Pollution and Conservation
P3.40 STAUDINGER, M.D.; MCALARNEY, R.J.*; MCLELLAN, W.A.; PABST, D.A. The feeding ecology of the pygmy (K. breviceps) and dwarf (K. sima) sperm whale inferred from diet and stable isotope analyses.

Sunday, Jan. 6 P3
Neurobiology: Neuroethology
P3.147 HADJISOLOMOU, S. P. Behavioral Responses to Pulses of Light in the Longfin Inshore Squid, Doryteuthis Pealeii

Sunday, Jan. 6 81
Flows & Pumps II 11:00 Imperial A
81.4 BARTOL, I.K.*; KRUEGER, P.S.; THOMPSON, J.T. Hydrodynamic gait identification in squid using volumetric flow imaging

Sunday, Jan. 6 96
Larval Ecology - Mechanisms
10:20 Yosemite A
96.2 KAPLAN, M.B.*; MOONEY, T.A. Adverse effects of elevated CO2 concentrations on squid (Doryteuthis pealeii) development and early life

Sunday, Jan. 6 106
Complementary to Symposium: Integrating Genomics with Comparative Vision Research of the Invertebrates 14:40 Yosemite C
106.6 RAMIREZ, D*; OAKLEY, TH Dispersed sensory neurons express opsin in the skin of Octopus bimaculoides

Sunday, Jan. 6 99
Evolutionary Developmental Biology: Character Development and Evolution
10:40 Continental Ballroom 9
99.3 CHAVEZ, A.A.*; GORMAN, C.; ERKEN, M.; MCDOUGALD, D.; STEINBERG, P.D.; NISHIGUCHI, M.K. Predation response of Vibrio fischeri biofilms to protozoan bacteriovores

Sunday, Jan. 6 106
Complementary to Symposium: Integrating Genomics with Comparative Vision Research of the Invertebrates 14:00 Yosemite C
106.4 CAI, J*; HEINEY, P.A.; SWEENEY, A.M. Building a Lens from a Single Protein: Small Angle X-ray Scattering on Squid Eyes

Sunday, Jan. 6 111
Larval Ecology - Development
14:40 Yosemite A
111.6 KINGSTON, A*; HANLON, RT; CRONIN, TW Immunolabeling and diverse expression of opsin in the skin of the squid, Doryteuthis pealeii

Monday, Jan. 7 133
Body Size and Allometry
11:00 Yosemite C
133.4 SCHMITZ, L*; MOTANI, R; OUFIERO, CE; MARTIN, CH; MCGEE, MD; GAMARRA, AR; LEE, JJ; WAINWRIGHT, PC Allometry indicates giant eyes of Giant Squid are not exceptional

Last edited by a moderator:
SICB '13 was a great meeting. I believe it had the most ceph-related presentations than any other meeting I've been to so far (excluding the ceph-specific ones such as Euroceph, CIAC, etc.) The great thing about SICB is not so much the topics themselves, but the range and variety of approaches employed to understand such topics.

In short, cephalopod presentations covered:

- cephalopod vision and coloration (evolution, development of optic lobes, lens size, water depth, pigmentation, molecular basis of),
- cephalopod movement (squid startle response, fin usage),
- auditory systems (sepia reacting to sound),
- population, mating systems (fascinating talk on female proceptive behavior in octopus),
- and peripheral sensory neurons (mechanoreception, light detection) which undoubtedly received the most interest.

My personal favorite of the meeting was a talk by Jean Alupay on costs and benefits of losing an arm in octopuses. She showed great footage of how an arm moved right after being separated from the rest of the animal. The suckers were attached to the glass wall of the tank and carried the arm sideways by propagation of attach/detach movement. This indicates a stored motor program in the periphery (arm) that does not depend on central control (brain). This behavior can benefit the octopus by distracting a predator while it makes its escape. That resonated with me (that is, I'm biased to like this talk) because of my previous project on octopus suckers and while I want to stay focused on my current project, it raised a lot of questions that I'd like to see them answered.

Since the meeting was in San Francisco, I used the opportuinity to visit the Steinhart aquarium and had a behind-the-scenes tour of the cephs there, courtesy of the kind folks at the Academy of Sciences. It's definitely worthwhile visiting this aquarium if you happen to be in the area, it has fantastic displays of the dwarf sepia bandensis, Pfeffer's flamboyant cuttlefish and a curious giant Pacific Octopus.

I wish there was a way to make these presentations public, especially for a forum such as this one. I've shared the idea with some of the people listed above and all showed interest in it, but it's going to take more coordination to bring forward. Something to keep in mind for the future.

SFN2013v4%20program%20planner.jpg
Sun, Nov 10, 3:00 - 4:00 PM
229.07/E50 - Analysis of synapsin III function at the squid giant synapse
*S.-H. SONG[SUP]1[/SUP][SUP],2[/SUP], G. J. AUGUSTINE[SUP]1[/SUP][SUP],3[/SUP][SUP],4[/SUP];
[SUP]1[/SUP]Ctr. for Functional Connectomics, Korea Inst. of Sci. and Technology(KIST), Seoul, Seongbuk-Gu, Korea, Republic of; [SUP]2[/SUP]Marine Biologucal Lab., Woods Hole, MA;[SUP]3[/SUP]Program in Neurosci. and Behavioral Disorders, Duke-NUS Grad. Med. Sch., Singapore, Singapore; [SUP]4[/SUP]Marine Biol. Lab., Woods Hole, MA
Poster
229. Synaptic Transmission: Presynaptic Structure and Organization
Sun, Nov 10, 1:00 - 5:00 PM
Tue, Nov 12, 10:00 - 11:00 AM
556.11/WW14 - Squid have nociceptors that display widespread long-term sensitization and spontaneous activity after bodily injury
*R. CROOK[SUP]1[/SUP], R. T. HANLON[SUP]2[/SUP], E. T. WALTERS[SUP]1[/SUP];
[SUP]1[/SUP]Dept. of Integrative Biol. and Pharmacol., Univ. of Texas Hlth. Sci. Ctr. At Houston, Houston, TX; [SUP]2[/SUP]Program in Sensory Physiol. and Behavior, Marine Biol. Lab., Woods Hole, MA
Poster
556. Nociceptors: Anatomical and Physiological Studies
Tue, Nov 12, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Tue, Nov 12, 2:00 - 3:00 PM
672.10/KKK27 - Nitric oxide (NO) mediates LTP induction in the learning and memory area in the brains of octopus and cuttlefish
*A. TURCHETTI-MAIA[SUP]1[/SUP][SUP],2[/SUP], B. HOCHNER[SUP]1[/SUP][SUP],3[/SUP], T. SHOMRAT[SUP]1[/SUP][SUP],4[/SUP];
[SUP]1[/SUP]Dept. Neurobiology, Silberman Inst. of Life Sciences, The Hebrew Univ., Jerusalem, Israel; [SUP]2[/SUP]ELSC, HUJI, Jerusalem, Israel; [SUP]3[/SUP]ICNC, HUJI, Jerusalem, Israel; [SUP]4[/SUP]The Ruppin Academic Ctr. Sch. of Marine Sci., Michmoret, Israel
Poster
672. Learning and Behavior in Invertebrates
Tue, Nov 12, 1:00 - 5:00 PM
Tue, Nov 12, 3:00 - 4:00 PM
672.11/KKK28 - Cephalopod Neurogenomics
*G. C. WINTERS[SUP]1[/SUP], A. B. KOHN[SUP]1[/SUP], N. STERN[SUP]2[/SUP], K. KOCOT[SUP]3[/SUP], K. HALANYCH[SUP]3[/SUP], B. HOCHNER[SUP]2[/SUP], E. T. WALTERS[SUP]4[/SUP], A. DI COSMO[SUP]5[/SUP], L. L. MOROZ[SUP]1[/SUP][SUP],6[/SUP];
[SUP]1[/SUP]Neurosci., Univ. of Florida- Whitney Lab. for Marine Biosci., Saint Augustine, FL; [SUP]2[/SUP]The Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel; [SUP]3[/SUP]Auburn Univ., Auburn, AL; [SUP]4[/SUP]Univ. of Texas, Houston, TX; [SUP]5[/SUP]Univ. of Napoli Federico II, Napoli, Italy; [SUP]6[/SUP]McKnight Brain Inst., Gainesville, FL
Poster
672. Learning and Behavior in Invertebrates
Tue, Nov 12, 1:00 - 5:00 PM
Wed, Nov 13, 3:00 - 4:00 PM
797.07/C7 - Continuous growth in the octopus is tightly correlated with more cells in the ganglionic network but not in the brain
*S. HERCULANO-HOUZEL[SUP]1[/SUP], S. DOS SANTOS[SUP]1[/SUP], A. GRIMALDI[SUP]2[/SUP], G. FIORITO[SUP]2[/SUP];
[SUP]1[/SUP]Inst. de Ciências Biomédicas, UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; [SUP]2[/SUP]Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy
Poster
797. Evolution of Developmental Mechanisms
Wed, Nov 13, 1:00 - 5:00 PM

Greg, This sounds kind of self evident but there are 10 states with cities named "Phoenix" (including my home state of GA). The headliner shows the state of your institution (Phoenix, NY exists), sooo, is the Phoenix Zoo IN Phoenix, AZ or Phoenix, NY or somewhere else?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back