• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Unusual behavior?

dagtaggart

Cuttlefish
Registered
not sure if this is normal behavior or not, but my previously nocturnal octopus was just out and about during the day. he seemed to be stalking a peppermint shrimp and was very actively and energetically moving around the tank and in and out of the rockwork. i finally offered him a hermit crab and promptly took it and flashed his "MMMM DELICIOUS FOOD" coloration (a sort of skunk-like pattern) and went to his den. not sure if he was just really hungry or what. he ate a crab last night.

any input appreciated!

How old is it? sadly nocturnal octos coming out during the day can be a sign of it going blind which leads to death. Hopefully it was hungry and or it was dark so it thought it was night.

i have no idea how old he is. i just got him 5 days ago. he seems fully developed, but if it's the species i think it is, they get bigger than this.

it wasn't dark, the lights were on in the tank. it was shady in the room though? hopefully he's just hungry.

Has he/she been changing colors a lot lately, been a light grey color, or seem unaware of light? if you havent really noticed just do some tests maybe. Shine a light an see what happens. Then again, its also likely it was just hungry. Size isnt a very good indicator of age. If it was an inch long then you can guess its young, but an octos size varies greatly. It depends on if its well fed, its living conditions etc. Im not sure if it applies to all octos but I know some of the larger one can gain up to 80% of what it eats. Like if an octo eats 10lbs of food it could grow 8lbs heavier (larger). Probably doesnt apply to dwarf octos but applies to GPOs. (says national geographic) (The only TV channel besides news that I had for 5+ years)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back