unresponsive octopus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by drakanorn, Nov 2, 2007.

1. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

about a week ago fluffy stopped coming out of the rock work for tv food or play. in one of two places in the tank for the past couple of days he has hardly left one spot. at night he will rise above that spot a few inches but now even at night he dosnt seem to move about the tank much. he has no response to my hand on the glass or even in the tank. its almost like hes blind but he can still sense light/dark. i have to rub his food against his arms to get him to eat it and his apatite is limited to the first piece of food i offer him regardless of size.

i thought he might be bored so i added some new toys to his tank including pvc pipe (boiled first with no metal of course) he showed little interest in these.

all of the parameters are normal. the temp dropped for a couple of days but its been brought up and stable for days now. if hes not blind it almost seems like hes a she and guarding eggs, but he/she is barely even full grown.

any ideas? im all out of them...:confused:

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Well, unfortunately size isn't a very good indication of an octos age... so it very well could be senescense setting in.

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Sounds like you are doing everything you can for Fluffy. I have to agree, it does sound like senescence. The size of the octopus depends on how much it has eaten, so you can have two octopus of the same age but different sizes. You have only had Fluffy for about 2 months, right?

4. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

correct 2 months-ish. i knew this was coming i just didn't expect it so soon...

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Sorry to hear you are going to lose your friend so soon. Continue to offer food, sometimes they hang on for a little while...

6. Animal Mother

And don't lose hope yet.

7. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

You are sure on your water quality? Past experience has taught me a drastic change in behavior can be an ammonia spike. Are your test kits up to date? Just a thought. Keeping fingers crossed.

8. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

that could be the case. i haven't replaced my test kit since i started cycling the the tank. im not sure how often test kits need to be replaced.

9. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

i just got back from my LFS where they tested the water and they confirmed that the water quality is high as normal no ammonia no nitrite low nitrates

10. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

i really hope hes ok, i enjoyed watching all the videos of him, maybe shell still be back to normal..have you checked water temperature as well?

11. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

i been cheking 3-4 times a day. temps have been steady at 76-78 as is the norm for the tank.

12. Scuba Kid

Scuba Kid Cuttlefish Registered

Wouldn't hurt to do a water change just in case.

13. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

already have, iv done 3 or 4 small water changes since he changed his behavior.

14. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

well fluffys still hanging in thier and eating but i have to pester him allot to get him to take any food. so i was wondering, am i unnecessarily prolonging his life or should i keep giving him food until he rejects it all together.

15. Animal Mother

Keep trying. He'll decide when he has given up.

16. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Keep offering the food and try to keep your octopus as healthy as possible.

Nancy

17. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

earlier this week i decided not to feed fluffy for a day to see if his appitite might return. and it has! he reaches out to grab food again and iv got him back to his normal sum of food, and today he came out to play :D. im not letting myself get excited yet but it was most diffidently a welcomed behavior.

18. Animal Mother

Great to hear :)

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

go Fluffy!

20. oneandseven

oneandseven Cuttlefish Registered

Although it has been a long time since this was posted, it still applies to my situation. Does anyone know the outcome for Fluffy?
    I have a male A. aculeatus, whom I have had the pleasure of accommodating for 8 months. He has, for the past couple weeks, begun to stay in his den longer, and has become pale and unresponsive as far as coloration and texture changes. He goes from a pasty greyish brown to a dark brown, and once I saw him prickle up, but mostly he is that light color. He eats, but like Fluffy, he acts blind. I had a naughty damsel in with him for about a month, hoping he would get tired of his cockiness, and eat him, but instead, the damsel constantly intimidated my "Leggs". I finally caught him, and got him out of there, but I think it was detrimental. I feel so bad, but I cannot change what is done. Leggs comes out several times a day, and makes a trip around the tank, then back to his den. When he is out, I will give him a crab, and as soon as he feels it with one of his arms, he gets excited, and snatches it. Do you think this is senescence?