Unknown Phylum. Any suggestions?

monty;98349 said:
Is this accepted classification now? Gah, I can't keep track of this stuff; I guess that's why I'm not a real biologist...

WhiteKiboko;98350 said:
Pffft. They make it up as they go along... :smile:

Taxonomists were born to change things, they live to re-write synonymies
and otherwise foul up traditional classifications as best they can. They are truly :evil:

:wink:

monty;98349 said:
Fantastic pictures, but TOLweb puts Tremoctopus under Argonautoida, unlike Nixon & Young and Steve's treatise on NZ octopods... what's up with that?

'oida', not 'idae' (Family); there's no change there at all Monty (people have long recognised the relationship between the Tremoctopodidae, Argonautidae and Ocythoidae; probably Alloposidae also). I did not include a superfamilial classification in the memoir (although covered them in this order in the memoir).
Cheers

:oops: well, that's why I'm an ignorant computer scientist who just dabbles in biology... Interesting, though... I guess I don't have any books that cover the rationale behind the intermediate-level groups... any recommendations? Or should I just read TOLweb and/or ask naive questions on TONMO? :boohoo: I guess this is a semi-useful reference: Taxonomy - Wikipedia

:band: inna gadda da vida, baby!

Mark hit the nail on the head; towards the end of that link you'll find the attached table (copied). There are several supraspecific categories in there that even I have not heard of (everything below family, above genus ... , although I lose no sleep over this (change is to be expected; otherwise we'd all be rubbing sticks together to create fire)).

Attachments

• conv_291625.jpg
    conv_291625.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 161
Thank You guys! Looks like some of the endings used below Superfamily are used for some groups above Superfamily. Is it OK to have duplicate endings?

eg.

Coleoidea, Ammonoidea, Nautiloidea = Subclass' of Class Cephalopoda, the same ending as Superfamily on the chart.

Ammonitina, Ancyloceratina, Phylloceratina = Suborders of Order Ammonitida, the same ending as Subtribe on the chart.

Will I be renaming all the names in my database in the near future? :roll:

Not that subtribe or some of those others below Subfamily are used extensively in cephalopod literature, but still... you may not, but I may loose some shut-eye over this. :wink: (maybe 3 winks)

It doesn't appear to be as consistent for animals Kevin; I wouldn't lose any winks over it at all. Cheers

Unknown Phylum. Any suggestions?

WOW!! I just spent over 45mins reading this entire thread! I must admit that was quite interesting..! And.... I need coffee :sleeping: and I definitely need to start my Masters ASAP so that I can answer questions relating to some unknown species (cephalopod or not) popping up to the pelagic out of the possible depths...:roll: yup yup!

:welcome: Cephalopodia. This was an interesting thread indeed; there are many more like it. I hope that we see you around more often.

Cheers Steve!! I'm sure I'll learn heaps from this website.:biggrin2: I just looked at your signature and a reference to Neptune- the funny part is I had a cat whom we named as Neptune just because we live on a boat and he was our kitten(a yr ago) and he used to roam around as if he owned the place!!:roflmao:

Anyhow, back to reading other interesting threads on here:roll:

Cephalopodia;105799 said:
WOW!! I just spent over 45mins reading this entire thread! I must admit that was quite interesting..! And.... I need coffee :sleeping: and I definitely need to start my Masters ASAP so that I can answer questions relating to some unknown species (cephalopod or not) popping up to the pelagic out of the possible depths...:roll: yup yup!

:welcome: to TONMO... I wish we saw enough interesting critters come up from the deep that this thread had more frequent activity!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back