Unknown Phylum. Any suggestions?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
That is an amazing video, thanks for posting it (I hadn't seen it). It's also a highly amusing video with the shocked and amazed expressions from the audience and the insets in the upper left. :lol:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
cttlfish;98347 said:
more confirmation, positive location of "water pores" is noted by http://www.tolweb.org/Tremoctopus !
Fantastic pictures, but TOLweb puts Tremoctopus under Argonautoida, unlike Nixon & Young and Steve's treatise on NZ octopods... what's up with that?

It looks like this rejiggering came from here:

Voight, J. R. 1997. Cladistic analysis of the octopods based on anatomical characters. J. Moll. Stud. 63: 311-325.

Is this accepted classification now? Gah, I can't keep track of this stuff; I guess that's why I'm not a real biologist...

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
monty;98349 said:
Is this accepted classification now? Gah, I can't keep track of this stuff; I guess that's why I'm not a real biologist...
Pffft. They make it up as they go along... :smile:

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
monty;98349 said:
WhiteKiboko;98350 said:
Pffft. They make it up as they go along... :smile:
Taxonomists were born to change things, they live to re-write synonymies
and otherwise foul up traditional classifications as best they can. They are truly :evil:

:wink:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
monty;98349 said:
Fantastic pictures, but TOLweb puts Tremoctopus under Argonautoida, unlike Nixon & Young and Steve's treatise on NZ octopods... what's up with that?
'oida', not 'idae' (Family); there's no change there at all Monty (people have long recognised the relationship between the Tremoctopodidae, Argonautidae and Ocythoidae; probably Alloposidae also). I did not include a superfamilial classification in the memoir (although covered them in this order in the memoir).
Cheers

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
platypus101

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan