Unidentified injured squid, Eastern Mediterranean (Turkish coast) , HD ROV footage

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Superb video of a free-swimming squid, taken by the ROV "Hercules" as part of a survey conducted by research vessel Nautilus. Footage taken near the seafloor at the Kazan "mud volcano" seeps. Voice-over by ROV team estimates the squid to be 20cm (total length, presumably). Something unpleasant has happened to the animal's tail, with additional damage evident on the 1st arms.

Clem

There's a lot of amazing footage recorded by this vessel. Back in August, they were exploring the coast of Cyprus and they recorded squid mating as well as images of an unknown (to them) species of squid. Will try to find it and post it here as well.

Edit: Here's the one with squid mating and some other cephalopods from around the Mediterranean. The site doesn't let me insert more than one video per post, so here are the links for the rest of them.

Cuttlefish | Nautilus Live

Upvote 0
The first video that is linked and not embeded, I am embedding here :sagrin: because I have not seen an octopus with this kind (position) of eyespot in any of the photos or videos.

The comments by the observers are great. Sometimes I forget that not many people have ever seen a live octopus.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back