Uni-selection time!

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by chrono_war01, Aug 31, 2008.

1. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

So, as some of you might remember, I'm looking into getting myself into Uni (well...that was the plan, the grades...are something else I need to worry about.)

I'm looking into some hard concrete choices now, with AUT being my first. I'm now looking in the Aussie/NZ direction now but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing anymore.

I've been to the AUT website, looked at all the links and doodads and decided Applied Science sounds like what I'm going to apply for (or maybe I'm not, can Steve or Kat or somebody else enlighten me?)

Do I need a Personal Statment to apply for AU/NZ Unis? I also need the minimum requirements, in IB-score, which I have failed to locate the the enquiry section really isn't helping.

If I do need a PS/CV, can someone take a look at mine and tell me how I could improve upon it?

I swear, these Uni-doodads are killing me.

Conclusion:
    I. Need Uni-list (up to 4), current selection being:
    1) AUT
    2) University of Otago
    3)
    4)

II. Need IB-score and uni information (particularly on Applied Science in AUT)
    1) AUT -?
    2) University of Otago - 26 IB points

III. Need somebody to help me write my PC/CV if required

Yar, bashing me head on a brick wall is less painful than writing up CVs. :banghead:

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I know different countries often have different terminology and requirements for admissions, so it's probably useful to find out what the "standards" are in NZ before trying to understand AUT specifically.... at least in the US, the schools have their own esoteric requirements, but they assume everyone knows the "standard" requirements.

I'm a bit out of practice at such things, but usually schools seem to want transcripts, standardized test scores, some sort of essay, recommendations, and possibly an interview.

4. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Also, at the risk of being scathing, the AUT website is utter crap. :smile: Your best bet is to be in touch with Steve directly about application requirements - as I recall it's a lot simpler than it looks.

5. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

I really don't want to influence your decision Eric; there are many universities with a better international reputation than AUT. The decision will be yours.

All I will say is that you'll have access to the postgraduate community from day 1, their research (and can get involved in it), a desk, swipe-card access to a secure area (that no other undergraduate ever has had), and will be spoilt rotten.

Your call!

6. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Can't ask for more than that! Just make sure you keep your grades up so you can get accepted.

7. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

You could look at coming south! Otago is a great uni, although we don't have a ceph group (Just me and Fiona) we do have a great zoo dept (& a minor in marine science) also we've just introduced a BApp Sci in Fisheries and Aquaculture.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/
    http://www.otago.ac.nz/appliedscience/bappsc/aqfi.php
    http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/index.php

Course it's a wee bit colder down here than in Auckland........but we're close to ski fields, the fiords etc etc etc!!!

Cheers

Jean

8. chrono_war01

I'm personally less worried about reputation than am I going to enjoy my life there. My secondary school life so far makes going to hell sound like an improvement. Besides, at least I KNOW poeple there (unlike my current school, which USED to have a great reputation and turns out to be a hell-hole.)

Re: Otago, so what do I need to get in? I'm looking at the undergrad and frankly, all this internet and website looking is making me dizzy.
    Am I on the right course if I'm staring at:
    MARI 202 - Marine Invertebrates &
    MARI 301 - Marine Ecology ?

9. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

You probably also need to think about the financial aspects.
    Can you afford to go just anywhere? Do you need financial aid or a scholarship?

Also, I don't think many people find their years at university so bad. You have personal freedom and a fairly nice life. If you don't like what you're studying, then you can change to something else - you're not locked in, like you are in high school.

Nancy

10. chrono_war01

Financially, my Dad says he can manage. But I might have to work a part-time job to make sure I don't become over-reliant and to not be such a big burden and all with a brother that JUST entered nursery school.

11. Jean

We have also earth and ocean science 111 (through the dept of geology but a prerequisite for marine science papers), MARI 201 Physical Marine Environment, MARI 302, Marine vertebrates. So yes you're on the right course, but check out the zoo dept too.

For Hong Kong students you need "Three passes at Advanced Level taken at one sitting with appropriate grades or better (see grade requirements PDF)." I've attached a pdf of grade requirements, I imagine your IB would qualify. We have a very strong international student body here at Otago.

I've been teaching both MARI 301 and MARI 202 this year and we have quite a large contingent of international students taking the courses....they seem to enjoy them :lol:

Also check out http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/prearrival.html for prearrival stuff like visas.

And For help we have international student services http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/studentservices.html

Otago is a friendly Uni and the international services group also run weekend trips and stuff so i don't think you need be lonely if you chose to come here!

J

Attached Files:

12. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. chrono_war01

I'm staring at the .pdf, Applied Science part, that is the "correct" one I'm supposed to stare at, right? (Just checking to make sure, never could be too careful, right?)

Apparently, I would need 26 points to make it in, which sounds to be within reasonable reach...I hope. (With Oxford/Cambridge and various UK ones asking at between 30-40) :shock:

14. Jean

If applied science is where you want to be ......yep!

There should be contact emails for staff in the international section and you can email them directly, they will know all the ins and outs!

Cheers

J

15. chrono_war01

Okay, minor update ladies and gents:

I've been looking up the University of Adelaide in Aussie, but I can't seem to find much information about the the university itself in terms of its reputation and how good the courses along with accommodation there. Anyone heard anything good about that Uni? The requirements are similar, so I'm not very worried about that, but I just want keep an open mind when it comes to Uni-choosing.

And secondly, does applied science mean subjects such as marine biology and all that? Since going into more specific ecosystems would be something more along the lines of post-grad study, right? ....Right?

16. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I wouldn't assume any consistency as to what "applied science" means between universities. When I was an undergraduate, at least, Caltech's interpretation of "Engineering and Applied Science" had a particular set of courses that "counted" toward the major, which were generally things like engineering, computer science, applied physics, control theory, applied math, and that sort of thing. I was rather annoyed that biology, "computation in nervous systems," and and those sorts of things did *not* count. I'm not sure if that has been changed, but certainly the spirit of "applied science" at Caltech meant "taking scientific findings and applying them to engineering problems," while things like biology, theoretical physics, astronomy, and math were more "pure science" and not "applied science."

edit: Caltech has fixed this to some extent: CNS now counts, and 3 classes can come from other science areas, like biology, astronomy, physics, math, etc. But still, anyone wanting to do marine biology would need to be a biology major, not engineering and applied science.

17. chrono_war01

well, with regards to AUT, if my memory serves well, I will be going to Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in either Enviromental Studies or Marine Biology (which I have just noticed, and according to the site, is a new course)

Uni of Adelaide would be:
    Bachelor of Science (Marine Biology), I'm guessing that the brackets would be what I'm going to major in.

Otago would be:
    Bachelor of Science, majoring in ...? Jean, help me! There's no Marine Science in undergrad! Ecology, maybe? I spied a MARI 301 which in the "Major in Ecology" section.

18. Jean

What ever you want mine was behavioural psychology and zoology!!!

But given what I know about you I'd suggest a major in zoology or ecology with a minor in marine science.

J

19. Jean

If you want more specific info you can contact

International Office

University of Otago
    PO Box 56
    Dunedin
    New Zealand
    Tel 64 3 479 8344
    Fax 64 3 479 8367
    Email: international.admissions@otago.ac.nz

They know way more of the nitty grittty than I do and can make admissions etc go much more smoothly.

20. chrono_war01

Oh snap ladies and gentlemen, it seems like I'm not doing quite well with the new courses my school have chosen and I might not make it through with the required grades.

Can somebody tell me about Foundation courses and how does that work?