unfortunate newbie has a blue ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
troll_2.jpg

I agree with Roy and Thales - lets make sure this really is a blue ring, being cautious until we have an ID, including no hand feeding and keeping your tank well sealed.

Please take some photos and upload them. Are there only two rings of the sort that are in Robyn's photo, or more?

What do the rings look like?

What's the color of your octopus at rest?

How large is it?

We'll know more when we see the photos.

Nancy

He is white at rest. He has a mantel at about 3/4 of an inch. The people at the store said that someone sold it to them in side a tank and that they said it was a "dwarf". I don't hand feed it, I toss the food in the tank and it just finds it.

chaostheory;121277 said:
I want to find my cord, nowhere to be found.

I forgot to tell you that it is in my bedroom but I have 15+ pounds of books on top of the tank.

People haven't had the best luck with just weight, since sometimes the octo can still squeeze through a crack without having to lift so much. Using duct tape as well is probably a good idea.

As Roy said, it sounds like it's possible, maybe even likely, that the octo isn't actually a blue-ring, but please treat it as one until you're 100% certain. I'm glad that you're no longer hand-feeding, at least, but I'm still concerned that keeping a lethal, escape-prone animal in your bedroom is really a recipe for disaster.

I remember how frustrating it is to be your age and get told by adults that you're not capable of handling responsibility, and reading between the lines, it sounds like you're sometimes frustrated, but keep in mind that Greg would say the same gruff thing to anyone, of any age, who isn't prepared to keep a dangerous animal, and we're all concerned for the safety of you and your family rather than just trying to be snotty. It's a rough situation when you are misled about the nature of an animal, particularly one you've become attached to...

Please do your best to find your camera cable so we can get the ID resolved ASAP.

edit: note to other blue ring experts: does anyone have good pictures of the various blue-ring species when they're not displaying their rings? It does seem like, while they don't show them all the time, they normally show them every few minutes when they're active, right? At least that's the impression I have from the videos...

Gruff? Snotty?

No offense, but I have seen friends that have lost fingers, hands, and arms due to envenomation.
I called Irwin an "idiot" when we worked on filming the southwestern rattlesnake episode, he reached into a burrow to pull out a rattler trying to get away. He said he did it all the time, and I should just calm down.
Well, he is dead now.

A deadly animal should not be sold to a minor, if something happens, the store is available for a massive lawsuit, as is the family of the 14 year old.

Get rid of it. Hand it off to the store with a stern warning, or to an experienced facility.

Waiting to ID it is like hoping that your hand grenade will actually not go off if you pull the pin. Mistake.

Sorry that I come off so harshly, but this is not some matter to be dwelled on or treated lightly.

I got her about a month and a half ago, several of her tentacles are doing some sort of a twist. Oh, and I think that I said that it is in a biocube. The cracks ARE taped. There is also a small combination lock on the tank to make sure citizens of Munchcan land don't put hands in it.

Corkscrewed arms eh? Sounds like we won't have to worry about it either way too much longer, to be frank.

I have to agree with Greg. Irwin is a great example. Even the most highly skilled and trained and experienced people aren't invincible and it only takes ONE mistake.

I didn't mean the snotty to be directed at you, more that I was concerned that I'm trying to balance things, since my sense is that chaostheory is sometimes resistant to listening out of feeling attacked.

And I thought you'd take gruff as a complement, I apologize if that flopped. I like gruff people, for the most part, except in combination with some other traits you don't have, like gross ignorance or blinding hubris.

My main concern is that chaostheory seems to bounce between being concerned and being rebellious about being pressured, so I want to mitigate the rebellion so s/he can avoid death... but I really don't want to be the "good cop" or anything, so I'm just trying to keep clear that I don't want to be an adversary or unsympathetic, but I also agree that this ought to be taken seriously.

I don't mean to undercut your position at all: frankly, I'd feel better if chaostheory got rid of the octo, but I'm not sure how to do that safely anyway. I defer to you and Roy and all sorts of people in terms of blue ring knowledge completely, but I think if chaostheory, like most 14 year olds, is likely to get stubbornly contrarian in the face of dramatic pronouncements, justified or not. Maybe that's me being too pop-psychology oriented, I don't really care if I'm right or wrong, I care that no one gets killed by this octopus.

I'm not even sure it's wise to interact with it enough to get it back to the store: in the most extreme prudent view, euthanasia by adding something toxic to the tank, IDing the corpse, and demanding the store refund the money if it's a blue ring seems like the absolute safest thing to do, but trying to get it out of the tank or transport the whole tank to the store both seem riskier than leaving it alone for a few days, because any interaction is more risky than keeping a distance. I could be wrong on that, so if Greg or anyone else has suggestions on how to get it to the store safely, I'm all for it, please speak up.

No one should sleep in the bedroom with a live blue-ring, or even be alone in the room with it, though. And if it's not sent away or euthanized immediately and safely, how hard can it be to beg/borrow/buy/steal a replacement camera cable? Roy is one of the world experts on blue ringed octos, and we have a number of members, including Greg, who have interacted with them a lot, and can likely ID it immediately from decent pictures. If it's just a USB cable, go to radio shack, best buy, or even your local drugstore and you can buy the stupid thing for less than $10, and while I agree with Greg that that is neither necessary nor sufficient to avert disaster, if it's enough to get past the roadblock of inaction, it's cheap, quick, and easy, and getting rid of that as an excuse for not dealing with the situation sounds productive to me.

:twocents: :banghead: :yinyang:

cthulhu77;121289 said:
Gruff? Snotty?

No offense, but I have seen friends that have lost fingers, hands, and arms due to envenomation.
I called Irwin an "idiot" when we worked on filming the southwestern rattlesnake episode, he reached into a burrow to pull out a rattler trying to get away. He said he did it all the time, and I should just calm down.
Well, he is dead now.

A deadly animal should not be sold to a minor, if something happens, the store is available for a massive lawsuit, as is the family of the 14 year old.

Get rid of it. Hand it off to the store with a stern warning, or to an experienced facility.

Waiting to ID it is like hoping that your hand grenade will actually not go off if you pull the pin. Mistake.

Sorry that I come off so harshly, but this is not some matter to be dwelled on or treated lightly.

Twisted arms are usually a bad sign. Don't handle it if it dies or looks dead either - take it out of your tank with a net, and dispose of the carcass in a sealed container.

I'm with Greg on this one - there is nothing 'responsible' about keeping this animal even if you think the tank is secure. If the pet-store sold it to you as you describe they are irresponsible and shouldn't be in business. Take it back and get a refund if it lives that long.

I don't mean to be rude or harsh to you either, it sounds like you could do a great job with a non-dangerous octopus, but frankly your attitude toward this animal seems reckless, overconfident and flippant.

chaostheory;121290 said:
I got her about a month and a half ago, several of her tentacles are doing some sort of a twist. Oh, and I think that I said that it is in a biocube. The cracks ARE taped. There is also a small combination lock on the tank to make sure citizens of Munchcan land don't put hands in it.

Do you have younger brothers and sisters?

In Irwin's defense it was the fact that he took the barb out of heart leaving him with an aortic dissectionm, not venom from the ray. Either way i think you should return the octo.

cuttlechris;121304 said:
In Irwin's defense it was the fact that he took the barb out of heart leaving him with an aortic dissectionm, not venom from the ray. Either way i think you should return the octo.

I did not mean to imply that venom killed Steve. It was his cavalier attitude towards wild animals that killed him, no sense of respect for potentially lethal animals that could care less about television, tanks, or anything else of the human environment.

You just can't expect animals to act according to the way we want them to.

Anyone who starts to think they have "a way" with animals is opting for a tv show, and also a fool.

They deserve our respect and admiration.

Ah. I agree. Just trying to defend a dead guy, know what i mean? I mean we all knew he had something of the sort comming.

Don't worry about it. People from the store traveled 40 minutes to come and take it back, they gave me my money back and I'm already making plans to get another octopus. Considering that I managed to keep a Blue ring alive and happy in a biocube, I think I'll be able to keep a easier species in a 75-90 gallon tank, any recommendations on species. I would like a hardy species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back