• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Um... Water and Dr. Pepper? How well do these things mix?

Hi All.

Ok so I have posted the last few weeks about my water situation and I bought 3 food grade containers so that I would be able to properly store and transport the water I get from the ocean. So, I get these containers and they smell like Dr. Pepper because they held the syrup which is used to make Dr. Pepper. So I cleaned them with this thing that Capt pointed me to. I swished the stuff around and kept it in there for a while... maybe 6 hours and then rinsed them out in the tub. When everything was said and done I didnt smell any Dr. Pepper.

So, this past week I drove to Galveston and got my water and came home where the water sat in the containers for a few days till I would have time to drain and refill my tank. Now at first I didnt notice it however once the water was in the tank it smelled like Dr. Pepper. Thank God at this moment the only thing in the tank is a starfish, snails and some hermits.

I tested the water before I put it in the tank and everything is fine and no ammoina so thats good. But with all the things we cant test for I now find I have a new found worry. Yay! I apparently borrowed trouble or in this case bought it.

Anyway, so I wanted to ask you all if there is anything toxic in Dr. Pepper syrup that could kill cephs or at least would be questionable? Also what can I use to get it out cause I cant wipe the walls, the holes are only 2 inches around? Maybe I could just use the stuff Capt directed me to (cant remember the name but says that its safe) and just fill the containers all the way and leave them be for a few days? Your thoughts here, even if not scientic would be helpful.

Our 60g rodi drums are root beer and sprite and they never seem to cause any problems other than adding a nice smell to the rodi if it sits in them too long. We've used them for years and they still have that odor. Many of our local reef club members use them without problems too.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back