UK Giant Squid PLUS NEW COLOSSAL!

Discussion in 'Architeuthidae' started by CapnNemo, Mar 31, 2006.

1. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Hello all.

I went to London today for the members only talk on the Giant Squid that resides in the Darwin Centre.

For the story of the squid click here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4756514.stm

The tour was for a total of fifteen members, we had a talk from Jon Ablett, the curator of Molluscs at the Museum, during which he explained the incredible preparations they had to go through to get the squid on display. It's in the working lab of the Darwin Centre as it's the only room that health and safety laws would allow them to put it in (due to the chemicals). Jon said that he has just managed to get in contact with the fishermen who caught the squid (alive) so he will be able to get more information on depth caught, behaviour etc.

Some very exciting news, Jon said that they have just got part of a Colossal Squid! The Arms and the head. At the moment it's residing in Cambridge and Jon was going to look at it tomorrow (1st April) he said the press doesn't know about it yet as he hasn't seen it.

Jon also plugged TONMO and said it's easily the best site for finding out about cephs (Hi Jon if you are on here).

Anyhoo, here's some squid pics and a pic of jon holding a Nautilus in a jar. As you can see the tank is massive. It had to be built specially (they actually contacted artist Damien Hirst to find out where he gets his tanks). The squid is on it's side with the animal's left eye upwards, the two tentacles are stretched out in front.

Attached Files:

2. CapnNemo

and furthermore...

Attached Files:

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I hope they got the eyes this time!

4. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Can hardly wait for pics of that one.

5. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Stunning Capn. Totally jealous here, I just wish I could have been there with you (sigh...).

I wonder if this new Mesonychoteuthis is this specimen caught last June. It caused a bit of a stir here last summer, though we did not have much follow up on what happened to the specimen. If this is a different specimen then this is a truly awesome news, the stuff TONMO is made of!

I'm really glad you had a great day. We must get up there soon.

6. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Hey CapnNemo, nice job getting to the Darwin Center (Centre as you blokes say) to take all that in... thanks very much for sharing it with us!

Very cool plug from Jon... thanks for passing it on! 8-)

Count me among the many looking forward to learning details of the colossal squid "parts"...

7. CapnNemo

OK I've got some more details on the Colossal. It's not yet in the country. Here's what Jon Ablett of the Natural History Museum says (and he's given me permission to post this)

"I believe that the colossal squid specimen that we are due to receive is the one mentioned in that article (CapnNemo's note: I sent him the link that Phil provided in his above post) . The specimen was caught by the British Antarctic Survey and was donated by them to the Museum via Dr. Martin Collins. I recently contacted Dr. Collins and he said that the the head and tentacles weigh 38.5 kgs, so it is should be a decent size (although I don't have any more measurements at the moment). Scientists from the South Georgia museum have taken casts of the beak and tentacle clubs for their museum which we are hoping to get a copy of to put on display. Apparently the beak alone is very impressive !

The colossal squid will hopefully arrive in the UK some time in May and we will start the preservation process soon after (this will take around 2 months) and then if the specimen is in good enough condition we will try and put it on public display in the tank with the Architeuthis specimen.

I'm sorry I do not have any more information but it will be a case of 'watch this space'. "

He says at some point he will delurk and register at TONMO so he can post more info on the Colossal.

8. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

very exciting news! I'm sure that we're all eagerly watching this space for updates. :grin:

9. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

He should de-lurk and join now. The more the merrier!

10. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered