• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

two way glass

Omega

GPO
Registered
Has anyone tried making an octo cave out of two way glass? where the to the octopus it thinks its hiding but everyone outside can see it? or would the cave not work if its seeing a reflection of itself?

One way glass can be arranged with the filter outside the tank and not in contact with the water, but most configurations require the light to be brighter inside than out. In our lab, we use two crossed sheets of polaroid to block light coming from the den. When we need to see inside, one sheet is rotated until enough light is emitted to see.

Roy

I have one way glass set up on a display tank for our octo at a public aquarium this works extremely well the trick is not to have the tank right up against the glass so that you can allow enough light to get the one way effect. Roy I'm interested in what you've mentioned with the polarised sheets. How does this work? Does it sit above the tank, in tank etc. I've always wondered about making a den out of something like polarised material but have never quite figured out how to do it.

Heavy polaroid is expensive, so I buy polariod film. It is not waterproof, so you have to apply it to the outside of the tank. A second sheet is then applied orthagonally. This cuts out the transmission of all visible light. You simply rotate the second filter which allows light to be transmitted. The closer the two plates are to having the same e-vector, the more light transmitted. It is an alternative to having cut-away burrows with tape or cardboard placed over the opening.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back