[Octopus]: Twitch - O. Bimaculoides My birthday surprise!!!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Got a new baby today from my son and his girlfriend. Very tiny. Reminds of one I had named little pumpkin. I dripped for hours very slowly as it is O'Bimaculoid or as known a baby bimac. I had to put together a pet home really fast as I was afraid of loosing him in my 70 gallon. Curled up, bout size of a nickle. No name as of yet. 20140314_131220.jpg20140314_131220.jpg

Happy Birthday, Carol! And what a nice surprise. Cute little guy, with his eyes sticking up. Like your photos and look forward to many more.

I remember Little Pumpkin well. This little octopus also reminds me of Ink.

Nancy

Love the expressiveness of the shell photo! Didn't you have a water assignment in your photography class? Surely an aquarium with a hidden treat would be a real challenge :sagrin:

A small aquarium airplane I had to have a few months ago, but never thought I'd have a tiny baby living in it! This morning he was sitting in the opening so I experimented with some new close-up lens I received for my birthday, when I switched back to my phone, galaxy IIII, he got pissed off and puffed a teeny tiny bit of ink at me. Think he doesn't like the red focusing light the galaxy uses. Anyway, I caught another crab, put it in and he was on it within seconds. This is a cold-water octopus but seems to be ok in my tank which is at 68. I know this is a higher temp than recommended, but I did drip him for 3 hours as suggested by Coldwater Marine, and he seems to have adjusted really well so far. I know ones I have had in the past were in warmer tanks also as I did not have a chiller. I often wonder if they would have lived longer, had I had a chiller. I need name suggestions...... not sure what to call him yet...thought about Groucho....

Attachments

• 20140315_081244.jpg
    20140315_081244.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 266
I think most of Zyan's hatchling were kept without chillers and in the high 60's or low 70's and Diego's tank was similar. Those with chillers or lower temps (@Joe-Ceph, @Neogonodactylus and Zyan Silver) seem to see them live close to 3 years where the warm kept animals lived closer to the Caribbean live spans of 12 - 18 months. Joe-Ceph has remarked on how inactive his have been. The activity and life spans recorded do seem to fit the understood differences projected. It was interesting to see @Thales post seeing a brooding bimac in the warmer waters of the Baja in February.

Has quite the appetite for one so little. So far he has eaten 3 crabs and a mud snail since friday. I think he is on the west coast time schedule as by the time I got home by 5 the past 2 days he was bedded down for the night. Definitely day active. This was where he was when I turned on the light this morn before work.View attachment 58489View attachment 58489 View attachment 58489

Attachments

• 20140317_060709.jpg
    20140317_060709.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 262
I tried to pick you out all appropriately sized crabs for him, he didn't seem to have any problem taking down the largest of the sizes I sent you when he was here :biggrin2:

IMG_3281_edited-1-1.jpg :smile: He still is very cautious, I'm guessing cause he's such a baby, but I am seeing the classic spotted look of a bimac when he is hunting a crab. Doesn't matter what I put in his tank, he has to come out and take it. Looking for something tiny I could put in there as a toy. Very curious. This is the photo I submitted to my class.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back