[Octopus]: Twitch - O. Bimaculoides My birthday surprise!!!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Got a new baby today from my son and his girlfriend. Very tiny. Reminds of one I had named little pumpkin. I dripped for hours very slowly as it is O'Bimaculoid or as known a baby bimac. I had to put together a pet home really fast as I was afraid of loosing him in my 70 gallon. Curled up, bout size of a nickle. No name as of yet.20140314_131220.jpg20140314_131220.jpg

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Carol! And what a nice surprise. Cute little guy, with his eyes sticking up. Like your photos and look forward to many more.

I remember Little Pumpkin well. This little octopus also reminds me of Ink.

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Love the expressiveness of the shell photo! Didn't you have a water assignment in your photography class? Surely an aquarium with a hidden treat would be a real challenge :sagrin:

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
A small aquarium airplane I had to have a few months ago, but never thought I'd have a tiny baby living in it! This morning he was sitting in the opening so I experimented with some new close-up lens I received for my birthday, when I switched back to my phone, galaxy IIII, he got pissed off and puffed a teeny tiny bit of ink at me. Think he doesn't like the red focusing light the galaxy uses. Anyway, I caught another crab, put it in and he was on it within seconds. This is a cold-water octopus but seems to be ok in my tank which is at 68. I know this is a higher temp than recommended, but I did drip him for 3 hours as suggested by Coldwater Marine, and he seems to have adjusted really well so far. I know ones I have had in the past were in warmer tanks also as I did not have a chiller. I often wonder if they would have lived longer, had I had a chiller. I need name suggestions...... not sure what to call him yet...thought about Groucho....

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I think most of Zyan's hatchling were kept without chillers and in the high 60's or low 70's and Diego's tank was similar. Those with chillers or lower temps (@Joe-Ceph, @Neogonodactylus and Zyan Silver) seem to see them live close to 3 years where the warm kept animals lived closer to the Caribbean live spans of 12 - 18 months. Joe-Ceph has remarked on how inactive his have been. The activity and life spans recorded do seem to fit the understood differences projected. It was interesting to see @Thales post seeing a brooding bimac in the warmer waters of the Baja in February.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Has quite the appetite for one so little. So far he has eaten 3 crabs and a mud snail since friday. I think he is on the west coast time schedule as by the time I got home by 5 the past 2 days he was bedded down for the night. Definitely day active. This was where he was when I turned on the light this morn before work.View attachment 58489View attachment 58489 View attachment 58489

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soviadat

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards