[Octopus]: Twitch - O. Bimaculoides My birthday surprise!!!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by corw314, Mar 14, 2014.

1. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Got a new baby today from my son and his girlfriend. Very tiny. Reminds of one I had named little pumpkin. I dripped for hours very slowly as it is O'Bimaculoid or as known a baby bimac. I had to put together a pet home really fast as I was afraid of loosing him in my 70 gallon. Curled up, bout size of a nickle. No name as of yet. 20140314_131220.jpg 20140314_131220.jpg

Taollan, tonmo and Architeuthoceras like this.
  2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Happy Birthday, Carol! And what a nice surprise. Cute little guy, with his eyes sticking up. Like your photos and look forward to many more.

I remember Little Pumpkin well. This little octopus also reminds me of Ink.

Nancy

corw314 likes this.
  3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Love the expressiveness of the shell photo! Didn't you have a water assignment in your photography class? Surely an aquarium with a hidden treat would be a real challenge :sagrin:

corw314 likes this.
  4. corw314

He is eating a crab and his new home is this!!!!

Attached Files:

5. DWhatley

What, exactly, is "this"? Glad he is already eating!

6. corw314

A small aquarium airplane I had to have a few months ago, but never thought I'd have a tiny baby living in it! This morning he was sitting in the opening so I experimented with some new close-up lens I received for my birthday, when I switched back to my phone, galaxy IIII, he got pissed off and puffed a teeny tiny bit of ink at me. Think he doesn't like the red focusing light the galaxy uses. Anyway, I caught another crab, put it in and he was on it within seconds. This is a cold-water octopus but seems to be ok in my tank which is at 68. I know this is a higher temp than recommended, but I did drip him for 3 hours as suggested by Coldwater Marine, and he seems to have adjusted really well so far. I know ones I have had in the past were in warmer tanks also as I did not have a chiller. I often wonder if they would have lived longer, had I had a chiller. I need name suggestions...... not sure what to call him yet...thought about Groucho....

Attached Files:

DWhatley likes this.
  7. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

beautiful bimac, congrats Carol! Really looking forward to following this one. :octopus:

8. DWhatley

I think most of Zyan's hatchling were kept without chillers and in the high 60's or low 70's and Diego's tank was similar. Those with chillers or lower temps (@Joe-Ceph, @Neogonodactylus and Zyan Silver) seem to see them live close to 3 years where the warm kept animals lived closer to the Caribbean live spans of 12 - 18 months. Joe-Ceph has remarked on how inactive his have been. The activity and life spans recorded do seem to fit the understood differences projected. It was interesting to see @Thales post seeing a brooding bimac in the warmer waters of the Baja in February.

9. corw314

Has quite the appetite for one so little. So far he has eaten 3 crabs and a mud snail since friday. I think he is on the west coast time schedule as by the time I got home by 5 the past 2 days he was bedded down for the night. Definitely day active. This was where he was when I turned on the light this morn before work. View attachment 58489 View attachment 58489 View attachment 58489

Attached Files:

DWhatley likes this.
  10. AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer GPO Registered

Awesome to see he is doing so well!! The other two we got were shipped out today :) Hoping to get some more soon and take a stab at breeding them.

corw314 and DWhatley like this.
  11. AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer GPO Registered

I tried to pick you out all appropriately sized crabs for him, he didn't seem to have any problem taking down the largest of the sizes I sent you when he was here :D

corw314 likes this.
  12. DWhatley

Maybe he will need a name like "Cookie Monster" or "Crab Shack" (take off on Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego :roll:)

13. Woogiekids

Woogiekids Cuttlefish Registered

So cute!

corw314 likes this.
  14. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

What a cutie- and what an awesome birthday surprise! This will be a fun one to follow!

corw314 likes this.
  15. corw314

IMG_3281_edited-1-1.jpg :) He still is very cautious, I'm guessing cause he's such a baby, but I am seeing the classic spotted look of a bimac when he is hunting a crab. Doesn't matter what I put in his tank, he has to come out and take it. Looking for something tiny I could put in there as a toy. Very curious. This is the photo I submitted to my class.

tonmo and DWhatley like this.
  16. sedna

Beauty!

corw314 likes this.
  17. corw314

I'm hooked! I think Twitch has doubled in size since March 14th. He now comes dashing out of his plane when I come home from work, especially if he's hungry as he has identified me as the food Goddess....lol....I have not released him from the pet home as of yet. I plan on letting him loose in another 2 weeks or so now that he is getting friendly. He ate a piece of shrimp the other day and I have more crabs coming from Coldwater Marine today. I tried to collect some mud snails, but it's still too cold.

Attached Files:

DWhatley likes this.
  18. sedna

I'm jealous! He's georgeous!

19. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

So what's the story with Coldwater Marine Aquatics? Do they go out and catch them per order? Are the collection/resale laws less onerous in Oregon than California? Should I order one tomorrow? :)

20. DWhatley

@DHyslop ! Long time no see!

Stu (@AquaticEngineer ) gets a variety of animals but bimac only show up occasionally since they are not very common that far north. He sees more O. rubescens and GPO's than any other cephs. They do have a website but watching his FB page is likely to be the fastest way to know what is available.