• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Turning 10 gal into a Refugium?

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
Hey I have an empty 10 gal tank that I would like to turn into a refugium for my saltwater tank. I'm a little confused with the plumbing though. I've read that you can use a syphon and then a pump, but what kind of pump? Can you have a flow rate that is too powerful? Also I was thinking of having the refugium higher than the wet/dry filter, but lower than the main tank so I could syphon water from the main tank into the refugium and then syphon that into the wet/dry filter, therefore eliminating the use of a pump. Would that work?

Also do I need to divide the 10 gal into sections? I'm thinking of growing macro algae but it would also be cool to have a sea horse or two in there. Later I might switch to growing live food. I've read that some people have the lights on alternating cycles to stabilize the CO2 and pH, but the tank is in my room so that wouldn't work. Is there anything else I should know?

thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back