• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

trying out a new egg incubator

gpx1200

GPO
Registered
I have a batch of eggs arriving Thursday so I decided to try something new(to me anyway) to hatch the eggs since my last attempt had ishues with algie buildup in the critter keeper im thinking I didn't have enuf flow inside the box, so based off of the egg tumblers being used here
Monterey Bay Aquarium
I put this incubator togeather with a small 92gph pump from harborfreight , some plastic mesh screem from a craft store, a 90*elbow from a rodi unit and the old critter keeper.
the pump has an elbow pointing straight up and the screen forms sloping sides and bottom so i can adjust the pump for a gentle flow or turn it up enuf to tumble the eggs and keep them moving.
the pump also has a magnet from an old kyrolia pump glued to it to help mount the whole thing in the corner of the tank.
ill probably glue a small piece of acrylic at a 45*angle in the opposite corner from the pump to help direct the water flow if i decide to go with the tumbler option but im not shure if that's the way to go or not.
what do the cuttle breeders think? tumble the eggs or let them sit suspended on the screen with gentle water flow all around? 002.JPG
003.JPG

good point D that's a posability but the screen is made of molded plastic not woven from strands so its pretty smooth, definetly smoother than sand for them to just be siting on but I don't know if I want the eggs bouncing around on it all the time. also having the pump turned up enuf to tumble the eggs might damage the eggs that float to close to the pump outlet.
I don't like the idea of using bubbles to tumble them because when they hatch theyr in danger of ingesting the bubbles

I think that any kind of grid that would rub on the eggs would be fatal. Note that the MBARI set up is designed to "float" the eggs in the water column with no surface contact at all.

I put the box in the tank today to check the water flow and it can easly be adjusted down enuf to not disturb the eggs at all so I don't think ill be tumbling them in this.

well I didn't get a chance to try the incubator tank because the eggs I recived wer already beginning to shrivel up and are now just about roted away but I did recive a few hatchlings with the eggs wich are eating and doing well, ill start another post about them as soon as I can get some decent pics.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back