• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Truth or Myth?

Chef Reef

O. vulgaris
Registered
Ok so i heard something a few days ago that just seems weird but i have to see if there is some truth to it. Here's what i was told:

Instead of building or buying some type of secure lid to keep your cephalopod in the tank, you can use "astroturf" around the edge of the tank. He also said that when they put there arm out the side of the tank to climb out they pull it right back in when they touch the astroturf becuase they do not like the feel. so basically a way to keep an open top tank.

Here's personaly what i think of this... ---->:sink:

Basically, you can't go topless (Mercs are an exception with water level considerations) but it (or rough velcro) can help discourage an escape prone octopus to let you do water changes. However, astroturf is prone to dirt and securing enough of it to keep even a medium sized Octo from reaching around it is not practical.

If you have an aquarium with no edging you can silicone full strips of acrylic to the inside to make an edge for a flush top. We have done this with several aquariums and it works well. You will need to fashion a handle of some sort to easily lift the lid and we have split our tops with a hing (also acrylic) to make life easier. Simple acrylic hasps can be mounted with auto moulding tape should you ever want to go topless in the future. I have a couple of photos posted in Octane's journal and likely a few more on photobucket if you need some ideas (let me know and I will dig up some links).

i figured as much. i don't think i would have done it even if it did work. i just dont think it would look to great. if you want to see how i did mine you can look at "little chef's reef"

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back