True porportions of M. hamiltoni

I made an upload of a picture showing the Mesonychoteuthis model and the Dosidicus model in a fictive hunting scene, I hope it will be soon in the gallery.

Great model Sordes, just saw it in the picture gallery! I guess we'll only know for sure about the eyes, by the time we get live pics :biggrin2:

I use a sculpting medium named Fimo, a product of the german Faber-company. It has many advantages towards clay, oil-clay or other sculting-masses like magic sculpt or green stuff. It stays smooth for a very long time witout drying out, similar to oil clay, and you can sculpt even very small details. But in contrast to oil clay, it can be hardened. 30 min at 130°C and it gets a plastic-like consistence and is also very burstproof, so I can even sculpt very long and thin parts like tentacles (for which I had to use a wire-skeleton). Because I can harden different parts independently, I can sculpt complex parts like tentacles or hooks at first, without the danger of damaging them in the later sculpting process. Other mediums like magic sculpt have the disadvantage that they harden at the air, so you must be very fast, but Fimo keeps its smoothness for many weeks. And furthermore it is much cheaper, only about a third of "professional" model-sculpting masses.

Phil,
Do you by any chance (or anyone else) have any more photos of "Messie" from the AFO episode? I do recall there were dozens of photos in another topic about two years ago, but that thread is now deleted :cry:

Looking at the pics of the dead messie, it's mottled white and red. What color(s) are you planning for it?
Can you please post these pictures?

legendarycroc;77843 said:
Phil,
Do you by any chance (or anyone else) have any more photos of "Messie" from the AFO episode? I do recall there were dozens of photos in another topic about two years ago, but that thread is now deleted :cry:

Can you please post these pictures?

Hi ya,

I assume you meant the pictures of the model being constructed? If so, no, I'm terribly sorry but I really don't think that I have any copies. The problem being that we did not save many of the most interesting pictures as we were not expecting to lose them during the site reboot. One day they were just gone, just like that! I'll have a look at at some old disks this evening and see if I do have anything, but please don't hold your breath. Steve and Kat might have some stored somewhere but they are busy, busy, people.

You know I have not seen either Animal Face Off or the new Architeuthis documentary as they have not been shown over here on terrestrial television, and I'm one of the six people in the UK without satellite TV. I'd dearly love to see both though.

Welcome too!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back