True porportions of M. hamiltoni

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your help! Your information and some of the pictures you posted were really informative.
Yesterday I began to sculpt suckers and claws on the long tentacles. But holy ****, that was really hard. To make the suckers was simple, but to attach the claws, which are only about 2-3mm in length, into the tops of the arms, was horrible. Cause of the small size of the modell, I couldn´t use as much claws as real colossal squids have, but it looks still very cool.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I finally managed to finish my scultpure this evening. It was really much work, but I think it looks really not bad. Okay, it´s undoubtly not 100% accurate, but perhaps 85%. The whole sculpture is about 25cm long (including tentacles). Cause of this size I had to make some concessions, for example the number and size of the claws, but also the proportions of the arms (their are not as conical as in reality), because I had to use a wire-skeleton for them. I hope I can upload the pictures somewhere to set a link.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
We'll be waiting to see it with bated (on a ceph site maybe it should be "baited") breath.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I´ll upload some pictures in the gallery tomorow or so. Today I also made a small Dosidicus modell of about 9cm length, but it is relatively simply made, because the tentacles are hold together.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I made an upload of a picture showing the Mesonychoteuthis model and the Dosidicus model in a fictive hunting scene, I hope it will be soon in the gallery.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Great model Sordes, just saw it in the picture gallery! I guess we'll only know for sure about the eyes, by the time we get live pics :biggrin2:

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Thy look still a bit boring, but I think they will become much nicer when they get painted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanfax

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak