True Facts About The CuttleFish

Discussion in 'Cephalopod News' started by skywindsurfer, Nov 14, 2013.

1. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

Hello everyone. It's been quit a long while since I've been on this forum. I've been out of the hobby for a year or so and I'm just now starting to get back into it again. I found this amusing little piece and thought I'd share it with the rest of you. Feel free to check out the rest of his videos.

nevergirl86 likes this.
  2. nevergirl86

nevergirl86 Blue Ring Registered

This was a pretty funny and informative video!

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

zefrank's video narrations are always humorous and more often than not, he gets his facts straight. In this one, however he makes several blatant errors.

4. skywindsurfer

I caught the last two images/videos were of "bob tail squid" and not actually cuttlefish. (though I could be wrong on the exact ID of the animals) What other errors did you spot D?

allison finch likes this.
  5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I knew you were going to make me go back and watch that :grin:. He says that the male cuttle has 4 pairs of arms but the female only 3, both have 8 arms, there is no dimorphic difference in arm pairs. Sneaker males do disguise themselves as females but through coloration, not hiding an arm pair. Female cuttles lay their eggs and go back to mating, and lay more eggs. Most cuttles die after their mating season. Even the animals that not semelparous do not guard their eggs and hang around for them to hatch, in cephalopods this is only a trait of the female octopus. Cephs develop chromatophores while still in the egg and hatch with the ability to change color. As you noted the bobtail squid's (somewhere between a cuttle and a squid) burying technique is not a typical form of hiding for baby cuttles. The animal shown burying is an adult.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. skywindsurfer

Ya I knew that both genders have 8 arms so I wasn't sure about the whole 3 pair vs 4 pair. Thanks for pointing this stuff out for me.