Triton - ?

Humm, I suspect they would eat at least some of the nudis but have intentionally not experimented under the thought that they would. Carol was going to try one I think but I don't recall if she did and if it survived. I am sure LittleBit would as she ate my beloved Scutus (sort of a cross between snail and nudi) that had lived with several octos without being molested.

Ok I finally figured out a name for him Triton I thought this was a great name for him because he is now living inside a conch shell. Yesterday something amazing happened, I got some sea grass to go on this open plain area in my aquarium where all the fish and crustaceans move around. Triton's shell is sitting on the edge of the rock area looking over the rest of the tank. I think he saw that all the fish and crabs were eating the sea grass so he snagged a piece floating in the water column. He then dangled the piece of sea grass in front of him like a fisherman. The fish were the first to go for it then he would try to lasso them with his tentacles and bring them in but this failed every time. I then put in an under fed fiddler crab and it went straight to the grass. Triton then did his best camouflage and moved deeper into the shell. The fiddler started chewing on the grass and then a long tentacle pulled it into the shell. I think that this is amazing! D Whatley I have been reading on your thread with Yeti that he has tried to lure crabs in with his tentacles like Triton does with sea grass. You should put some grass in to see what yeti will do with it:smile:

These are two pictures the first is the area I was talking about and the second of Triton holding the grass.

On this picture you can see that the grass has been chewed down quite a bit by fish and little hermit crabs

Attachments

• conv_300136.jpg
    conv_300136.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_300137.jpg
    conv_300137.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 123
Do pay attention on how you collect your sea grass. From my understanding, it is OK to collect it from the surface or washed up on the land but NOT OK (ie illegal) to harvest any that is planted. Sadly, I have never had success keeping it alive for more than a week or two.

Very interesting on the possible use of a tool and somewhat more interesting because of some recent studies on individual arm control.

If you could get a video of him transporting and using the seagrass, it would be of special interest to others. If what you are seeing is actually use of the seagrass as an attraction for fish, this is important to document.

The fish in the tank with Triton are very non territorial. Yesterday i saw Triton peering out of this little structure and then one of the damsels came by and and started hovering next to him looking out as well. I also added a angelfish to the tank as well he is very peaceful and shares a den with Triton. The only fish that seems to pose a threat to him is the tang and he is a herbivore, it is also the slowest and friendliest fish. I personally think that Triton is interacting great with the fish, but that might be because my last octopus Mohammed had a crazy killing spree and killed everything else in the tank. Besides the fish Triton has been peering out of the rock works and I got a few pics of him to help with the ID, he still hasn't moved into the light though so they aren't very good.

Attachments

• conv_300147.jpg
    conv_300147.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 132
  • conv_300148.jpg
    conv_300148.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 79
  • conv_300149.jpg
    conv_300149.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 116
Yep that's what I thought as well, I don't think it looks like any of the Caribbean species except maybe briareus. When I ordered him the options of what to buy were Indonesian medium and Caribbean small did they mess up the order? And If this is from Indonesia would this be a Abdopus Aculeatus. My other guess is Macropus because of the fascination of the sea grass but Triton doesn't look the slightest bit like a Macropus.

I'm guessing something in the Abdopus complex. We see enough variation in the Abdopus complex of animals that I make Roy or Crissy make the call on aculeatus. The Macropuses we generally see from them (species not determined but appear to be the same) are VERY nocturnal and very personable if you are up at 3:00 AM. The grass thing has not been reported before and is why I would love for you to get a good video.

Triton came out yesterday I was unable to Get a clear picture of him though. I will try to get a video of him using the grass but he doesn't use it very much now:sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back