Triassic Ammonoids

Here's a pile of Triassic ammonoids thrown together on my desk. Ceratites and Discoceratites (19 cm) from Germany at the back, then two Choristoceras from Austria, Halorites from Indonesia, Meekoceras from Crittenden Springs, a French Ceratites, a Crittenden Springs Dieneroceras and a few Greek specimens (Sturia, Flexoptychites, Cladiscites and Arcestes).

I blame TONMO. I thought a year of curiosity about these creatures would be enough, but no I'm still quite fascinated by them.

I have a memory of camping as a teenager in a grove of cherry trees in Alsace just next to a quarry yielding Ceratites. I brought a couple of them back, but don't remember what happened to them.

Attachments

• conv_304438.jpg
    conv_304438.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 322
Wow! It looks almost man-made with the color and texture differences between the rock and the fossil. Has it been coated or sanded to get that effect? Welcome back!!!!

Thanks all. Yes Terri - white calcite against red matrix looks great. I think they have lightly air abraded this one D. The aesthetics attracted me, but also the connection with that little Omani Ophiceras. By the way I have reincarnated in a strange land that has no wild cuttlefish.

.. another couple of these Timorese white-on-red Triassic ammonoids (since I'm snapping a few photos). The first is 65 mm across, the second just 30.

Attachments

• conv_299883.jpg
    conv_299883.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 195
  • conv_299884.jpg
    conv_299884.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 191

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back