• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Transporting Tank Water and a couple random thoughts!

Hi there,
You all sound very welcoming from what I've read. I will be buying a tank off of craigslist and I'm interested to hear some cheap and creative ways to transport the water in an hour long car drive. Please don't say 50 milk jugs! : )
The less money I spend the better... would the water splash out in a large plastic storage container from your experiences? Because I have many of those.

Also, this may belong in another thread but how many octopii vulgaris could live comfortably in a 50 gallon tank?

AAAANNNNDD>>>> The tank has an hqi lighting system with 3 blue led's and 3 white lights. I understand that they don't like much light and prefer red as they don't even recognize it. What are my options? Are you even able to have empty sockets and take out the blue bulbs as long as their out of reach for the little escape artists? Or.... where can I buy the cheapest red led bulbs available?

THANK YOU, ALL!

Hi and welcome, the water will splash out if the container is not sealed, I use my trailer and a 200ltr drum which I fill direct from our local beach. I quite often see other people using 20ltr plastic buckets with clip on lids or similar size vessels. Just make sure that the water you are collecting is clean and not contaminated.

:welcome:

Harbor Junkie;141782 said:
how many octopii vulgaris could live comfortably in a 50 gallon tank?

Zero, a vulgaris needs a tank over 200 gallons (estimates vary between 200 and 350 for a single vulgaris depending on where the vulgaris comes from).

To help get a better feel for the requirements for keeping an octopus, start with the articles on ceph care and then read through the different journals (many are marked with the species) to get an idea of what species are comfortably kept in the home aquarium.

Haggs: How far offshore are you pulling your water from the ocean? I wanted to do that, as I live near the ocean, but was told that unless you collected 20 miles offshore it would be too dirty due to humans.

robind;141790 said:
Haggs: How far offshore are you pulling your water from the ocean? I wanted to do that, as I live near the ocean, but was told that unless you collected 20 miles offshore it would be too dirty due to humans.

Not even necessarily due to humans. Beaches act like skimmers for the oceans. All the foam you see on coming up, yup, fish poop, just like the skimmers. It sounds like he gets it right off the beach, but who knows, they're twisted down there :roll:

Just because the water goes down the drain backwards (which I believe is actually an old wives tale) doesn't make them "twisted" :tongue:

If you have seen pictures of Situ's home when the water was clear, you would be envious (I AM)

dwhatley;141802 said:
Just because the water goes down the drain backwards (which I believe is actually an old wives tale) doesn't make them "twisted" :tongue:

If you have seen pictures of Situ's home when the water was clear, you would be envious (I AM)

:biggrin2:, I know, I was kidding, My point was that maybe the water was cleaner down there on the coast for some reason. Better thru flow?

ha..ha..ha.. you are all right... seriously though I do just get it off the beach, most of the time the beach I use IS very clear but as in previous post there are times when I do not use NSW because of the amount of foam. There has been a couple of times where it's had small amounts of broken weed but I run it through a filter to remove that.

Harbor Junkie:
If you're buying a used tank, know that if any copper medications have ever been used in that tank it may not be suitable for cephs, as they are extremely sensitive to copper.
I found a place online that will test saltwater for copper, at concentrations as low as 1ppb...but it costs $60, not including mailing them the sample (not sure how large of a sample they need). Anyway, at that price, you may as well just buy a new tank!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back