Toys!

Er...I've been away in London for a couple of days, and missed the 'gag-inducing images'. Pity.

Humour in the fossil forum? Surely not! :biggrin2: :thumbsup:

.....er....will I get scared Kevin? I'm a very innocent 36 year old you know.

Oh go for it.

Oh crikey. Obviously Winston Churchill trawl fishing for calamari in drag again (yawn).

That's so passe.

Wow! These things rule! Wonder if the local aquarium has any. Used to be the original Sea-Life Centre until 2000 when the franchise owner bought it back! They have a very nice looking gift shop when I was in on Monday, but I didn't really get much time to look as I already had a souvineer: an Octopus in Formalin! Don't ask, unless you're really sure you want an answer...

Graeme

Resurrecting this old thread and back on topic, here's three more toy prehistoric cephalopods. These are made by Kaiyodo, a Japanese firm, and are available as part of their 'Dinotales' series of toys presented with chocolate available in vending machines. These are:

Rayonnoceras, a Carboniferous nautiloid.
Pachydiscus, a large Upper Cretaceous ammonite,
Douvilleiceras, a beautifully ornate and heavily ribbed Lower Cretaceous ammonite.

They are all very nicely detailed little models, the ammonites are just an inch and a half or so long. I'm not convinced the nautiloid head should resemble Nautilus quite as much as it does though.

Attachments

• conv_288611.jpg
    conv_288611.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 95
  • conv_288612.jpg
    conv_288612.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_288613.jpg
    conv_288613.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 94
Well, not cephs, so forgive, but from the same range are some beasts from the Burgess Shale namely: Wiwaxia (actually an Australian Cadburys Yowie animal), Hallucigenia, Opabinia and Anomalocaris.

The second picture has two trilobites, Psychopyge in the backgound and Triarthus in the foreground, a really beautiful little model. The odd looking beast in the background is Pleurocystites, a Cystoid.

Attachments

• conv_288614.jpg
    conv_288614.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_288615.jpg
    conv_288615.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 110
Yeah, they made Wiwaxia look like a something the Mexican famlies used to decorate for Dia del los Muertos at a church I used to attend. Pretty, but odd coloration for the beastie.

Burgess shale toys.. 'bout damn time! I always thought pre-Dinosaurian inverts were the most interesting life forms.

Thanks for the info! I plan to send this link to my Paleo Prof.

John

Phil said:
These are both Yowies and are part of the 'Lost Kingdoms' B-range four or five years ago. These were self assembly kits of Australian prehistoric creatures available inside chocolate Yowies, colourful characters named after the legendary Australian equivalent of Sasquatch.

Phil,

Is this the same as the bunyip? I live in an area where Bigfoot is rumored to have been sighted a lot, so I take an amused interest in so-called cryptozoology. Also, cryptid legends provide GREAT background for short stories.

John

Oh, and are they still available??

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back