Toys!

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Toys for the young and not so young......Here are a few examples of fossil cephalopod toys collected over the last couple of years. These are a very rare breed, unlike rubber Triceratops!

Here are two ammonites and a belemnite produced by a company called Bullyland in Germany. They are part of a series of five, the others being an ancient jellyfish, and a trilobite .

Attachments

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
The next two are a small plastic ammonite and a nautiloid. These are both Yowies and are part of the 'Lost Kingdoms' B-range four or five years ago. These were self assembly kits of Australian prehistoric creatures available inside chocolate Yowies, colourful characters named after the legendary Australian equivalent of Sasquatch. Also attached here is the paper description which came with them.

The ammonite was labelled as Tropaeum imperator, the nautiloid, helpfully, as cephalopod.

Attachments

Scouse

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
There brilliant!!

Any idea were to get the first ones (that dont come apart) would be great to put in the tank with the octo!!

cheers

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
I've sent you a pm with a link to some for sale Scouse. Many US fossil retailers seem to sell them but they are not so easy to find in the UK, e-bay is the best bet, as usual.

They are very solid, made of a heavy rubber material and I'm sure they would make a great addition to an octopus tank. Nice idea, the old meets the new! Reminds me of a friend who kept a genuine trilobite in his tank of Triops; he kept them in the kitchen, pity his girlfriend suffocated them all when she put cling-film over the bowl to protect them whilst cooking. Doh!

Scouse

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Brilliant cheers for that Phil!!

Wonder if it will scare the life out of a baby octo when he goes in :lol:

You reminded me of a mate who's mum was looking after his reef tank whilst he was on hol's once...she thought it smelt funny and decided pouring bleach in would solve it....hmmm you could say it did to that effect!!! :shock:

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Here's a couple more pics; the large white ammonite is probably Acanthoceras, a Cretaceous ammonite from the chalk cliffs of Dover.

The red and white beast is a small clay model of Plectronoceras, the first Cambrian cephalopod that we know of. I knocked it up one afternoon out of clay whilst bored a few years ago. It's not very good, but it gave me a brief purpose in life. :smile:

Attachments

spartacus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Phil said:
The red and white beast is a small clay model of Plectronoceras, the first Cambrian cephalopod that we know of. I knocked it up one afternoon out of clay whilst bored a few years ago. It's not very good, but it gave me a brief purpose in life. :smile:
Phil, you're weird ! :lol: keep up the good work

Keef

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I checked out the bullyland web site. They have octopus, cuttlefish, which they call squidfish and a giant squid, which is currently out of stock. They also have collections of sea live, reptiles, stuff like that. Pretty cool stuff. I've gotten very authentic looking squid at bait shops. Take out the hooks and they're great.:onycho: You would have to live near the oceab=n though, f:hmm: reshwater fish don't recognize squid.

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Tintenfisch said:
Ummm... a newspaper??? :bugout:
*nods*

Rolled up newspaper .... the mostest powerfullest weapon in the UUuuuuniverse!

*can't wait for the movie*
Soon in your theaters, X-men meets Wallstreet!

TPOTH

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Groan! Proof positive that I can't type and that I should always proof read! Great site Greg, What is mm? We could put curly hair on her and turn her into "Kat, the great Ceph Tamer".:twisted:

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Er...I've been away in London for a couple of days, and missed the 'gag-inducing images'. Pity.

Humour in the fossil forum? Surely not! :grin: :thumbsup:

Members online

No members online now.