• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Toxic sump ?

No , You misunderstand the eggs are from my last octopus but are in the same system. My adult octopus is back in her tank now and so far so good:fingerscrossed:. Well I guess the chemi-pure carbon and new poly plus a water change did the trick. I still would like to know what the problem was but as long as it stays okay I'm happy. I'll be keeping a close eye on everything.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but i was curious about the chemi pure as well. I spent a long time setting up a bioball rack, skimmer section and fuge and return chamber. Now my local aquarium society and some people at the LFS are telling me that they can contribute to steady nitrates. So they told me to run chemi-pure. It's apparently worked well for you but i'm so f*@#$ confused... can anyone clear this mess up?

How long have you had aquariums ? If your having success with what you are doing don't change. If your having problems then listen to advice but take it with a grain of salt and use some sense. I have been keeping aquariums for about 20 years and have had fish reach ages of 14 or better but when I first started keeping marine fish I tried to do everything right following advise etc. and all I had were problems. Once I started doing my own thing it got a whole lot easier (keep in mind my 15 years or so experience when I started with salt)now my tanks are bullet proof as was my octo tank till I started messing with it.:banghead::bonk:

Sorry I forgot about the Chemi -Pure I don't know that it did anything for me and also this is this first time I have used it out of desperation. My tank was testing bang on for everything but there was something toxic in the "food service hoses" I had used to hook everything together. It was really nasty too. I usually just stick to the basics live rock in the tank, skimmer,UV sterilizer, canister filter with sponge, carbon, ceramic tubes, and poly wool.

There is only anecdotal evidence that chemi pure can help nitrates (read that as I don't think it does anything). Bioballs and wet drys have fallen out of favor because without regular cleaning the can produce excess nitrates. If you have excess nitrates, then look for solutions, if you don't, don't worry too much.

How regular is regular bio ball cleaning? I heard to wash 1/4 of them out with water is that right? The tank isnt established yet, but i will start a build thread when i can get pics.

When they are dirty enough that you think they need cleaning.:cool2: Every tank is different and it's hard to come up with standard rules for maintenance.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back