Tools for finding funding opportunities for research

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Stavros, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

I will share here a few tools I use to search for funding sources for research. I hope to see other members contribute as well, to build a record of potential funding opportunities that may help launch future molluscan studies.

I started looking for grants about 3 years ago, when I realized that I won't be eligible for most of the US grants out there, due to citizenship requirements. I spent some time contacting EU funding bodies as well, but they could not fund me because I'm stationed in the US!

About a year ago, I came across Refworks-COS (Community of Scientists) which has a search engine for grants. You basically enter keywords and it gives you grants with upcoming deadlines that are relevant to your search. It has a plethora of options to narrow down results, (including undergraduate, graduate and post-doc filters, citizenship requirements, etc) and it provides results from every country.

The best part of this COS search engine is the Funding Alert email; you can set up a notification system, to alert you about new grants that match your keywords by delivering the list to your inbox on a weekly basis. Of course, the more specific your keywords, the more narrow and relevant the results are.

I believe signing up for COS is open for all students and researchers, and I highly recommend trying it if you are looking for funding sources.

Hopefully others will add their own tools as well.

S.

2. brent&kitty420

brent&kitty420 O. bimaculoides Registered

Would like to be.part of research team us citizen

3. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

4. Gordman

Gordman Cuttlefish Registered

And.. my University is not a registered member so I cannot join. Hoping my research funding department will consider my request to register as a member. *Fingers crossed

5. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

Sorry to hear about that. I could run a query with your specific interests and email the results to you while you are waiting for them.

CephBirk likes this.
  6. Gordman

Gordman Cuttlefish Registered

Oh wow that would be amazing. No rush or anything whenever you would have time. Thank you so much for offering