• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Too small...

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
G'day everyone

Alright I am now at the stage where I am going to begin purchasing goods, however one item in particular is still giving me 'cause for concern'. The protein skimmer I am looking into is stated by the manufacturer to be able to handle volumes up to 1,500L it's made by ReefOctopus and is called 'Core + Pentair 1500i'.

The reason I am concerned is that the display tank holds around 235Gals, there is also a Refugium and Sump so the Total Litres (estimated) is from 1200-1500L. I've read in posts that it is better to go big and upsize where you can for your equipment, does anyone believe that this skimmer is to small for a system this large? If so I am also looking into 2 of there other models.... 'Hurricane 4000 4X' or the 'Hurricane 2500 2X' both model names indicate the Manufaturers ratings for the skimmer in Litres (I have had no luck so far on finding a 2500 2X for sale yet)

I have thought about that, however since my budget is 'allowing' me to get some pricy equipment I thought I may try and get products that most people have had good success with, any thoughts on the skimmers mentioned above would be really helpful ( I just don't know how much truth is in ReefOctopus Products, some say manufacturers rate there skimmers 4x what they are REALLY for.) Please help :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back