TONMOCON IV

Maryland blue crabs are better than LA,VA,NC,and SC crabs. If you just buy blue crabs for octo food, chances are they arent Maryland because MD crabs are MUCH better and more expensive. If you are eatting blue crabs, and they arent labeled MD blue crabs they arent. If you pick MD Ill provide the crabs for a lunch. My dad and I catch at least 12-14 buscells of crabs a week. So there you go. Pick MD get some free blue crabs. They charge about $200 per buschel so there Im saving you $1,000+

Caution. I have yet to find the reason but the strong recommendation is to feed only raw seafood so don't feed store bought crab to your octo as it is steamed and not raw (fresh catch, of course, is fine).

I could go for the lunch for sure!

Im not sure about where, but at every crab market in MD the blue crabs you buy are alive, not cooked. It costs you an extra $50 or so if you want them to cook your crabs for you. I saw a sign yesterday for 3 dozen home grown MD blue crabs for $19. I wanted to go in and see how tiny they were. Probably less than 2 inches. They were softshell though... my octo will LOVE softshell crabs because there is no shell left behind, s/he can eat the entire crab. Softshell MD crabs are strange. They kind of have a shell, but they dont. People just grill them right out of the water, slap the whole crab between some bread with seasoning and just *CRUNCH*

Ryan Smith;154411 said:
Softshell MD crabs are strange. They kind of have a shell, but they dont.

Softshell crabs are crabs that have just recently shed their exoskeleton. The new exoskeleton is still soft, hence the "softshell" designation. Crustaceans (shrimp, lobsters, crabs) shed their exoskeletons in order to grow. Once they shed their old exoskeleton, the new exoskeleton expands and hardens.

... sorry if I made it unclear but I understand the process. I was trying to say blue crabs only stay softshell for 3 hours, about 2 or 3 times during their life. If you eat the crabs right after they molt it will be like the crab has been peeled. And as time progresses they get a bit crunchier. Iv only ever caught one softshell crab and I couldnt tell if it was dead or not. They just kinda drift around and are squishy.

Detroit isnt a good place to have tonmocon. If 100 people went only 20 would return home. Actually, I cant really say anything there. Baltimore has the highest homicide rate in the WORLD. Thats why Maryland gets the title "Murder Capitol of the World"

Garrett would love to go again and Seattle would be more practical for us. We would try to find a way to get to it if TONMOCON was anywhere in the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back