TONMOCON IV - *LATEST NEWS* - 10/3/11

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by tonmo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

I'll use this thread to post the latest news leading up to the event... not sure what else there may be to share, but here are a few random pieces of info...

Agenda has been finalized!! Olaf Blaaw will fill our 2:10pm slot - the title of his presentation is "Colossal Investigations", covering his experience and learnings from the Mesonychoteuthis dissection he was part of along with Dr. Steve O'Shea and Dr. Kat Bolstad at Te Papa.

There will be some items to raffle, items to auction (believe that may come Friday evening), and some items for sale as well. Yay, items!

When we add in the good folks from WAMAS, we may have as many as 80 people at the event! Hard to predict the turnout for sure, but bottom line, we'll be in good company.

There are a couple other things developing to make sure you have a pleasant stay, but I'll just save that for when we can talk in person :smile:... Bottom line, we're in for a treat, folks!

2. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Tony, thanks for all you've done to put this show on! I'm looking forward to it all!

3. ieatfalalfel

ieatfalalfel Wonderpus Registered

Sounds totally awesome! What time's the raffle? I'm getting in late of friday.

4. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

Wish I could make it out there!

5. tonmo

Raffle will be happening on Saturday... can't wait!!

6. tonmo

There's a change to the agenda - Adam Eli Clem could not make this one but we hope he'll be back for TONMOCON V!

Our 1:30pm slot will now feature Tamie DeWitt's presentation, Extreme Makeover; Cuttlefish Edition. Tamie is a biologist at the National Zoo, and her presentation will cover "enrichment activity [at the National Zoo] with the goals of reducing stress induced jet-slamming, extending the social housing of cuttles, to increase the opportunity for exhibiting species-typical behaviors and to enhance our visitor’s experience by encouraging cuttles to exhibit more active behaviors and diverse body patterns." This presentation was published in the ABMA (The Animal Behavior Management Alliance) last year, and Tamie will review it with us on Saturday!

7. tonmo

ALSO (see post above if you're just catching up on the latest news...) another piece of news: the National Aquarium in Washington, D.C. is offering FREE PASSES to their aquarium on Sunday! Please note:

"Conference attendees will get free admission to the National Aquarium, DC on Sunday October 9th by presenting their conference ID badge. We are open until 5:00 that evening and are located on 14th Street between Constitution and Pennsylvania Ave., roughly one block from the Washington Monument. The closest metro station is Federal Triangle on the orange and blue lines."

Conference Badges will be handed out at the door on Saturday morning, when doors open at 8:30. :smile:

8. tonmo

Also.....(scroll back to read more)... There will be no wifi in the presentation room, but if you have a data plan with your smartphone or tablet, you can use the tapatalk app to take pics and post! See?

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

Attached Files:

9. davelin315

davelin315 Wonderpus Registered

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Saturday (will have to miss the Friday night gathering)!

10. tonmo

See you tomorrow Dave!

ALL: FYI, for your navigational convenience, the first pic on the homepage slider links directly to the TONMOCON Forum.

11. neurobadger

neurobadger Vampyroteuthis Registered

I'll miss the Friday night gathering - I'll be preparing for the ethics discussion - but I will be at all the festivities tomorrow!

My mother, incidentally, has decided to come because she is catching the cephalopod fever.

I have allotted myself twenty bucks to print out all the crap I need. I will be carrying a backpack full of stuff.

12. tonmo

Great that your mom's coming, NB! Sorry you'll miss tonight's revelry... We'll have one for you!

Also left you a PM - let me know if the backpack is for the presentation, I'm working with the facilities folks to get the room setup... also "backpack full of stuff" sounds a bit ominous :wink:

13. tonmo

Wonderful weather! Off I go - see you all there!

Those of you who can't come (such as Steve and Kat, below), we'll all do our best to share happenings, so stay tuned this weekend.

:squidaut:

14. ieatfalalfel

ieatfalalfel Wonderpus Registered

I'll be there around 9:30 tonight !

15. tonmo

By then we should be in full larval stage! Looking forward to seeing you!

16. Danna

Danna Cuttlefish Registered

Bah. Can I just say that I am officially super-bummed not to be in Washington DC right now? I know I'm horribly lurky, but I'd so love to meet everyone. I'll be following along eagerly & promoting cephalopod awareness as best I can!

17. neurobadger

neurobadger Vampyroteuthis Registered

Oh man, Danna! Welcome to TONMO and tell the Gilly I said hello.

18. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Hey Danna!