TONMOCON III

Perhaps TONMOCON III should hit multiple cities -- we'll go on tour! :cool2: Kidding of course (and unfortunately). But I bet we could assemble an agenda worthy of that!

Seattle, NEAq, Monterey Bay all sound like great options.

On Seattle, Dr. Roland Anderson and his crew are friends of TONMO; Seattle is a neat city and very cephy-oriented -- it would be a good place to leave our stamp next.

On NEAq, it's a great aquarium in a great city. However, I believe we checked them out for a past 'con (and also Baltimore Aq) and they both were non-starters due to pricing, etc. Still, the Northeast concept has received most votes in this poll so it probably behooves us to investigate the options.

On Monterey Bay, we already know how cool and accommodating MBARI is, so that's a plus on their side. Plus, it being Dr. O'Shea's preference definitely carries some weight -- and there are other TONMOers in that area who would more readily go (although really, that's the case with every city). I guess "we've done that place already" has its pros and cons; probably more pros than cons.

Mote in FL was also a great place and very accommodating, but the votes are there and we *just* did it there at TONMOCON II. So I guess I'll rule out Mote -- Mote will need to wait for a future TONMOCON.

Also, I don't think we're quite ready yet for an International 'con. Sometime in the future.

This is like picking the next city for the olympics, without the corruption!

There is another annual event I go to every year (imagine that!) and I keep on trying to get the coordinators to just pick out three spots in the country...far from being boring, going back to the same place is easier on the people who run the event, since they know the area, and the host (s) are likely to be receptive to a repeat business.
I know that Melissa, Erich, Tony, and Rich did a hell of a great job on Monterey (T1), and I am sure it would be just as much fun this time.
As long as we get the PowerPoint stuff worked out first.

And, no, I am not eating any oysters.

tonmo;123506 said:
.... Plus, it being (cough) O'Shea's preference definitely carries some weight --

Not a lot Tony; I just want to whip WK's a*s in an arm wrestle (again!); I don't care where it is! I just want to catch up with a nice bunch of folk and have some more fun.

Hey -- I have been thinking about this. Just under a mountain.

I actually visited NEAq in September -- not sure it is really a good choice for us.

Seattle may be good but I have not investigated enough. Monterey Bay may be best, because we've tread that path already. It might be the most efficient way to get back into it. It was a GREAT venue for TONMOCON I. (BTW, so was Mote in Sarasota -- but we're fresh off of that one.) Rather than getting too exotic, it may be best to alternate TONMOCONs between Monterey Bay and Sarasota, just so that we hit both coasts. Efficiency is a factor.

Bottom line: I need to connect with Erich -- ball is in my court. I'll do my darnedest to render a decision by end of November.

West coast would be great. We would love to attend and plan on making in a family vacation, depending on dates of course.:boat:

I am edging toward Monterey -- I have all the contacts lined up from 4 years ago. Just have to make some calls. I know, I need to do it soon to help folks with planning.

Monterey would be the easiest for me, but I could do Seattle too. Shanlyn does love Seattle !
No oysters this time, though. Chuckle.

I'm thrilled for either Seattle or Monterey. Sorry for my long absence. I've been kinda busy, and topics here need constant attention. I just realized, other than sending off guery letters to literary agencies, I'm done! For now. Yeah, I have to start writing the next book and all, but not until I've finished my notes, which might take months.

Monterey sounds easiest, Tony. I've done nothing to secure any connections with Seattle yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back