[From the Admin] TONMO Website Changelog

New feature: on the TONMO homepage, you'll now see a section near the top called "Attachment Spotlight" ... this feature will pull random image attachments from posts throughout our 20 year history. It will show more images when viewing desktop / wide screen, and fewer when viewing via mobile / narrow screen (i.e., responsive). Click an image to go directly to the post for full context. Enjoy the exploration!

New feature: on the TONMO homepage, you'll now see a section under the Attachment Spotlight forum list (bottom of page) called "Content Tags" which shows our site's tag cloud. (Wikipedia: tag cloud). When you create a new thread, please consider adding any appropriate tags; this helps us keep a tidy inventory of the great content on TONMO... we'll be tending to it in the background as well - with 20 years worth of content, you can be sure it will be ever-changing... and we have a LONG way to go to tag all the things :smile:

Example: the blue box shows the tags; click the icon in the blue circle to manage the tags in your own threads:

1589387258362.png

Last edited:
Please note: in order to comply with service provider policy associated with RSS feeds and site advertising, @octobot's news content is now limited access; accessible to our Supporters only. We will continue to share news via our Twitter account, and will expound on any major news stories within our forums (posted by ourselves, not via @octobot). I'll set up a News thread prefix for this and will make it prominent so it can be easily identified by visitors seeking news. Thanks!
Update: News is now available to registered users as well... Supporter status not currently required... You simply must be logged in as a TONMO member to view @octobot's "Cephs in the News" content :thumbsup:
Update: I have since learned how to properly suppress ads for that full area of the site, and so this content is again available to all :smile:

First, you may have noticed we had a bit of down-time yesterday... That was unplanned, and it took several hours to recover... sorry if you ran into that! This is a heads-up that in order to prevent future events like that, I'll be making some changes which will require more downtime. I can't be sure how much time it will take, but I hope to have everything done over the course of the weekend. Thank you for your patience!

Also, as mentioned in our latest newsletter, we've got some great functional updates on the way. I don't have specific timing for that, but I'm hopeful we'll be ready for that by early autumn.

This is a heads-up that in order to prevent future events like that, I'll be making some changes which will require more downtime. I can't be sure how much time it will take, but I hope to have everything done over the course of the weekend. Thank you for your patience!
I believe we're all set now (at least as far as public downtime goes), but if you have any issues, please report it here or PM me. Thank you!

Our forum software has been updated! You'll notice some differences, with more coming, now that we have new capabilities (just need to configure).
- PWA (Progressive Web App). You can download TONMO as an app on your mobile phone, and/or your Windows desktop. Note, Android supports badging to advise on # of notifications.
- Updated rich text editor
- New Forum types (for example, Questions, where replies can be upvoted... our ID Requests forum is now configured for this).
- Profile banner pics! See: https://tonmo.com/members/tonmo.2/
...and really, a lot more. If you have any questions, feedback, or problems, respond below!

The Fossils Gallery just got a LOT bigger. A new feature allows us to mirror all attachments from a forum into the Gallery, and a link back to the thread where it came from is provided (and vice-versa). I will reconfigure the Gallery categories so we can match up the content a bit better, and so you'll see more of such cross-posting over time.

Some navigation updates:
  • brought back the "Home" navigation tab
  • added prominent links to the Homepage to the major forum categories for easy access
  • Removed "latest / what's new" navigation tab (the "Latest Activity" link is now a sub-item under Home)
  • Removed the "members" navigation tab (it's now accessible as a sub-item under Forums)
  • revisited Widget placements

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back