TONMO Guitar Picks

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
image.jpg

Co-worker with a high end 3D printer making me some prototypes :smile:

Yeah, he is using some newer plastic material which is very firm yet has some give. I tested out with a plain, sanded version (the above is not sanded) over the weekend, and it worked great! I forgot the name but I'll find out and report back when I share the next rev of this.

Yeah, he is using some newer plastic material which is very firm yet has some give. I tested out with a plain, sanded version (the above is not sanded) over the weekend, and it worked great! I forgot the name but I'll find out and report back when I share the next rev of this.
They look like they were printed with an FDM printer (the type that basically works like a super fancy, amazing hot glue gun) so it was probably PLA (polylactic acid) or maybe ABS. The laser-cutter's a bit different since it takes a sheet of material (as opposed to an FDM printer which would take filament which is like a "string" or "wire" of plastic). I just haven't had the time to look into it since there are limitations on the plastic you can use in the laser-cutter. One of these days... :nyah:

Look forward to seeing the updates on this though :smile: Have you been doing the design? If not, you might have fun playing around on Tinkercad (though I don't know if you can do two-color designs0! And, if you haven't seen thingiverse, looking at that too!

Part of the reason I never 3D printed any picks was because I thought they might break given the way the material gets deposited - glad to hear they're working!

I was wondering on Facebook... would cuttlebone make a good guitar pick? A friend of mine suggested it might be too abrasive on strings. I thought it might be a bit brittle... but if anyone would know, I'm guessing someone here would.

There is something romantic about using a cuttlebone as a guitar pick :smile:. Perhaps if it were coated in some kind of apoxy or something...

Picks come in various forms and are measured in terms of thickness, and most will offer a bit of give (depending on the thickness). I prefer mine on the heavier side (.88 dunlops for example; I'm not sure of the material) so there's just a bit of give. However, Queen's Brian May uses a 6-pence coin as a pick and I've seen quarters used as well, so pliability isn't a hard requirement.

here is a recording of me using that pick, [edited: Lochloosa by JJ Mofro]

:smile2: :band: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• tonmo - Lachloosa.mp3
    9.7 MB · Views: 109

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back