Tonmo Chat? Designated time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fini

Wonderpus
Registered
We have this nifty chatroom function on Tonmo that seems largely unutilized. What if we designated a time and day to meet in there; would there be any takers?

This was already discussed someplace, and Tony asked if someone could come up with a time that would be acceptable to everyone in all the time zones that are represented by our membership. So far, no one has jumped in to research that. If you want to do it, I think a lot of people would appreciate it. :smile:

We have members in New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, India, Germany, The Netherlands, France, Spain, United Kingdom, Bermuda, all time zones in the US and Canada, including Hawaii, ...am I missing anybody?

Fini said:
We could just designate a time for the "masses" as that's better than not having one at all. What about 9 PM EST?

That would be possible, probably, for the Kiwis and Aussies, but it would put it in the wee small hours for our European friends, and frankly, I don't want to leave Phil, Colin, Cap'n Nemo, Ob, Spartacus, Scouse, Graeme, TigerKatze, et al, completely out of things. If we set the time for 8:00Am EST it would be 2:00 PM on the European continent, 1:00 PM in the UK, Midnight in New Zealand, 10:00PM in Sydney, and 5:00AM in Los Angeles. While I'm not exactly thrilled about a 5 am time to chat, it would be a lot better than setting the chat for 2 or 3 AM for someone. Of course, if we had it on either a Friday night or sometime on Sat, a lot of people stay up really late on those nights anyway.

A lot of our most active members are not in the US or Canada. We need to get their input.

Yes, by all accounts it's time to get that chat rooms going again. I believe we used to do "first Wednesday of every month" at 9pm. But then lots of people started forgetting (or maybe it was just me who forgot!) Maybe weekly is better... I'll tell you what -- choose a date and time a couple of weeks in advance, and I'll promote it on the homepage, and we'll see what happens!

Please don't take me into consideration, Sorceress. I'd like to say 'hello' but my shift work is so haphazard consisting of seemingly random early, lates, days, nights and different days off each week too. Not only does it play utter havoc with ones body clock, but it's well nigh impossible for me to make regular commitments unfortunately. Oddly though, unless I'm on a night shift, midnight is usually OK for me, but then I have no family unlike many of the rest of us from Europe. No matter what time you pick you can't really win.

Best just to start the ball rolling and see how it goes.

Here's a thought. Let's try two times one on Sunday the other on Wednesday at two times, Sunday's at 3 PM (or 12 PM) EST and Wednesday's at 9 PM EST. Does this sound reasonable?

Otherwise its going to be tough to find a "perfect" time. Perhaps we can log the chat and post it for those who miss out.

Which one EST? 3 pm or 12pm? either one will be at at a decent hour for Europe.

If we move it to 4pm est, that will make it 10 pm on the continent, 9 pm in the UK, and 8am in Aukland. Does someone want to check my calculations?

Phil said:
Please don't take me into consideration, Sorceress. I'd like to say 'hello' but my shift work is so haphazard consisting of seemingly random early, lates, days, nights and different days off each week too. Not only does it play utter havoc with ones body clock, but it's well nigh impossible for me to make regular commitments unfortunately. Oddly though, unless I'm on a night shift, midnight is usually OK for me, but then I have no family unlike many of the rest of us from Europe. No matter what time you pick you can't really win.

Best just to start the ball rolling and see how it goes.

I'm with Phil on this. My schedule is entirely up to those that do the scheduling, and it's never a given, unfortunately. I want in on this chatroom as well - feel I haven't been doing enough lately - but management is god at the moment, unfortunately.

Let's try this schedule and see what happens. If we get some more feedback we can fine tune our schedule to fit the needs of those who can't make these times.

Sundays @ 4PM EST
Wednesdays @ 9PM EST

How to use the chat system:
One the Tomno main page toward the bottom of the screen you will see to the right a box labeled "Live Chat" it will also show anyone currently in the chatroom by their username. From there just click the "Chat Now" button and it should automatically log you in. Or you can just hit this link

Hope this helps get things going! :tongue:
Chris

Let's go for it. I think weekly schedules would be easier for people to remember than a specific Sunday, or a specific Wednesday. We might start with every Wed, and every Sun. If that seems to be too many chat times, we can always cut it back, but let's get people thinking Wed. at 9PM, and Sun. at 4PM. What do you say, Tony?:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back