time to start the learning curve again

hobogato

O. vulgaris
Registered
hello all. i am ace and i am a reef addict. i am about to enter the world of ceph addiction as well. we have two marine setups in our house.

one is a 180 gallon display with a 60 gallon sump/fuge that houses our lps coral collection and a couple of fish.

the other is a 240 gallon display with a 75 gallon sump/fuge and an attached 50 gallon clam tank built into a side table. the display houses our sps coral collection and a bunch of fish. it is in the clam tank that i am considering a venture into cuttlefish keeping.

i have always wanted one since seeing the the cuttlefish reef setup at a museum in houston, tx.

on this setup, i am running a beckett skimmer, calcium and kalk reactors, and a chiller to keep the water at 78 - 79 degrees the only thing i have in the clam tank is sand on the bottom and clams. i know i will need to add some liverock - i was thinking some cool tonga branches - to provide hiding places.

i am planning on keeping S. bandensis since they stay small. i am just now starting to do some research, but am really eager to learn and get the ball rolling.

Welcome

I guess you did not read the fine print. All new members must submit photos of their set-ups :wink:. Just kidding, of course, but a photo would be welcomed, your setup sounds terriffic.

:welcome: make sure to check the articles link at the top of the page for starters!

thanks for the welcome...

monty - that is where i started reading :smile:

d - here are a few cruddy pics

this is the 180 lps system - it is my wife's tank, and she is still working on arranging the corals. almost all of these corals use to be in the 240 until a few months ago when she decided she would like a separate tank for the lps. they are much happier in this tank as it is set up for them - unlike the 240 which is really set up for sps
DSC017202.jpg

here are some pics i snapped just now of the 240 and clam tank
front of the display
DSC01991.jpg

back of the display (it is a room divider)
DSC01992.jpg

filtration (the beckett skimmer is hiding in the sump behind the first set of open doors on the left)
DSC01993.jpg

clam tank table
DSC01988.jpg

view thru the "window" on top of the table
DSC01989.jpg

with the top open
DSC01990.jpg

i have just recently cleared this tank out except for the clams (it used to house some of the lps as well) i know i will need to add some rock structure for the cuttles, and i am reading lots now to see what else i will need to do.

ok, so i will be getting a male and female 3 month old S. Bandensis from shipposhack next week. i have added some pieces of tonga branch to the clam tank to give them a little playground. if all goes well and i can have success keeping them and possibly getting them to breed, then the next step of my plan will take shape. i teach high school environmental systems, and i have an 800 gallon marine setup in my classroom and will be setting up a coral propigation system in conjunction with our ag magnet program. down the road, maybe that can be expanded to a cuttle breeding program as well (i know, i have lofty goals, but that is the only way to get things accomplished :smile: )

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back