time to start the learning curve again

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hobogato, Mar 26, 2008.

1. hobogato

hobogato O. vulgaris Registered

hello all. i am ace and i am a reef addict. i am about to enter the world of ceph addiction as well. we have two marine setups in our house.

one is a 180 gallon display with a 60 gallon sump/fuge that houses our lps coral collection and a couple of fish.

the other is a 240 gallon display with a 75 gallon sump/fuge and an attached 50 gallon clam tank built into a side table. the display houses our sps coral collection and a bunch of fish. it is in the clam tank that i am considering a venture into cuttlefish keeping.

i have always wanted one since seeing the the cuttlefish reef setup at a museum in houston, tx.

on this setup, i am running a beckett skimmer, calcium and kalk reactors, and a chiller to keep the water at 78 - 79 degrees the only thing i have in the clam tank is sand on the bottom and clams. i know i will need to add some liverock - i was thinking some cool tonga branches - to provide hiding places.

i am planning on keeping S. bandensis since they stay small. i am just now starting to do some research, but am really eager to learn and get the ball rolling.

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Welcome

I guess you did not read the fine print. All new members must submit photos of their set-ups :wink:. Just kidding, of course, but a photo would be welcomed, your setup sounds terriffic.

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: make sure to check the articles link at the top of the page for starters!

4. hobogato

thanks for the welcome...

monty - that is where i started reading :)

d - here are a few cruddy pics

this is the 180 lps system - it is my wife's tank, and she is still working on arranging the corals. almost all of these corals use to be in the 240 until a few months ago when she decided she would like a separate tank for the lps. they are much happier in this tank as it is set up for them - unlike the 240 which is really set up for sps
    [​IMG]
    here are some pics i snapped just now of the 240 and clam tank
    front of the display
    [​IMG]
    back of the display (it is a room divider)
    [​IMG]
    filtration (the beckett skimmer is hiding in the sump behind the first set of open doors on the left)
    [​IMG]
    clam tank table
    [​IMG]
    view thru the "window" on top of the table
    [​IMG]
    with the top open
    [​IMG]
    i have just recently cleared this tank out except for the clams (it used to house some of the lps as well) i know i will need to add some rock structure for the cuttles, and i am reading lots now to see what else i will need to do.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for the pic post. Glad I am not the only one who spends the weekend cleaning tanks ;>)

6. hobogato

ok, so i will be getting a male and female 3 month old S. Bandensis from shipposhack next week. i have added some pieces of tonga branch to the clam tank to give them a little playground. if all goes well and i can have success keeping them and possibly getting them to breed, then the next step of my plan will take shape. i teach high school environmental systems, and i have an 800 gallon marine setup in my classroom and will be setting up a coral propigation system in conjunction with our ag magnet program. down the road, maybe that can be expanded to a cuttle breeding program as well (i know, i have lofty goals, but that is the only way to get things accomplished :) )